self promotion on this newsgroup ?

What's the generally accepted practice for self promotion on this =
newsgroup ?
As in I hope to "unveil" my website soon where I offer some kits. I was =
thinking of maybe just one single "formal" announcement, with nothing =
more than a hyperlink to the site in my signature in all future posts. =
Maybe a specific announcement here and there for a new product, etc.
I have gathered that this is more or less acceptable, but I did want to =
make a specific post to see what feedback I get.
Thanks !
JCD
Reply to
Pogo
Personally, I'd rather just see the announcement than a post (and possibly a long thread) discussing whether we want to see the announcement.
Best, - Joe
Reply to
Joe Strout
What's the generally accepted practice for self promotion on this newsgroup ? As in I hope to "unveil" my website soon where I offer some kits. I was thinking of maybe just one single "formal" announcement, with nothing more than a hyperlink to the site in my signature in all future posts. Maybe a specific announcement here and there for a new product, etc.
You've been a fine contributor to the group. I look forward to your website announcement.
Mike Ross
Reply to
Mike Ross
message=20
Thanks. I appreciate it!
Reply to
Pogo
In my opinion:
A few commercial posts a year with subjects are prefixed by "AD:" is acceptable. Nonintrusive self-promotion in signatures is acceptable. Disclosed self-promotion in sufficiently specific threads is acceptable. Undisclosed self-promotion is flameworthy.
-chris.
thinking of maybe just one single "formal" announcement, with nothing more than a hyperlink to the site in my signature in all future posts. Maybe a specific announcement here and there for a new product, etc.
specific post to see what feedback I get.
Reply to
e c kern
I think the rule of thumb should be that its OK if you are a contributor. Just dont do it too often and try not to post stuff that is written in sale-speak (lots of exclamation points and liberal use of the words "REVOLUTIONARY NEW PRODUCT!" and "AMAZING" and "SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY OFFER").
A news group can be a good source of constructive criticism for your products. Be wary though, regular exposure to a news group can be a double-edged sword. You will likely acquire some detractors who had one bad experience and then flame your company every chance the see you reply to an innocent question.
-howy
Reply to
howy
Good guidelines. Thanks! JCD