self promotion on this newsgroup ?

What's the generally accepted practice for self promotion on this = newsgroup ? As in I hope to "unveil" my website soon where I offer some kits. I was = thinking of maybe just one single "formal" announcement, with nothing = more than a hyperlink to the site in my signature in all future posts. = Maybe a specific announcement here and there for a new product, etc.

I have gathered that this is more or less acceptable, but I did want to = make a specific post to see what feedback I get.

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
Pogo

Personally, I'd rather just see the announcement than a post (and possibly a long thread) discussing whether we want to see the announcement.

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

You've been a fine contributor to the group. I look forward to your website announcement.

Mike Ross

Reply to
Mike Ross

message=20

Thanks. I appreciate it!

Reply to
Pogo

Good point!

Reply to
Pogo

In my opinion:

A few commercial posts a year with subjects are prefixed by "AD:" is acceptable. Nonintrusive self-promotion in signatures is acceptable. Disclosed self-promotion in sufficiently specific threads is acceptable. Undisclosed self-promotion is flameworthy.

-chris.

thinking of maybe just one single "formal" announcement, with nothing more than a hyperlink to the site in my signature in all future posts. Maybe a specific announcement here and there for a new product, etc.

specific post to see what feedback I get.

Reply to
e c kern

I think the rule of thumb should be that its OK if you are a contributor. Just dont do it too often and try not to post stuff that is written in sale-speak (lots of exclamation points and liberal use of the words "REVOLUTIONARY NEW PRODUCT!" and "AMAZING" and "SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY OFFER").

A news group can be a good source of constructive criticism for your products. Be wary though, regular exposure to a news group can be a double-edged sword. You will likely acquire some detractors who had one bad experience and then flame your company every chance the see you reply to an innocent question.

-howy

Reply to
howy

Good guidelines. Thanks! JCD