Machinerys Handbook on binary newsgroup

Yall might want to check alt.binaries.pictures.tools.

The 26th addition is available for downloading evidently.

Ymmv.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

Hmmm, that's a lot of bytes. Nevertheless, how do I actually download one of the files in a valid Winrar format? I saved the first file (only about 180k), manually trimmed all the newsgroup header stuff, and saved it. But Winrar still says it's corrupted. Maybe it's not coming through as a true 8-bit binary file? I'm using Netscape 6.2

Roger

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Roger Head

Does anybody know if the CD is "searchable". As I recall the first MH CD's published were for the 24th Edition, and at that time I consider purchasing along with the hardcopy, but was told it had no "search" function. Is that true? For old geezers like me the large print version would be better.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hmmm, that's a lot of bytes. Nevertheless, how do I actually download

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Stealing the print version from a bookstore would require less computer expertise.

Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I have the 26th edition in paper and on CD. It's an Adobe Acrobat file, so you can use the index or the Acrobat search functions.

I prefer the paper edition for quick look-ups.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Actually Ive not looked at it yet..Im on dialup at 56k..and this might take a while...

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

Yanno...

the difference in information between the 26th edition and the ones that came even 50 years earlier is not all that great.

an handbook from 1950 will contain information that should serve most hobby metalworkers quite well.

Reply to
Jon Grimm

Search on yydecode.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

i have just the standard toolbox printing, but it would be nice to grab these files before someone starts squawking. i just don't know quite how to do it.

maybe some kind soul, not afraid of being sued could copy them to a web server? anyone? Ed, Don? --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

I haven't followed this thread so I don't know what's going on here, Loren. It sounds to me, if I'm reading accurately between the lines, like someone has just opened themselves to a substantial lawsuit by violating Industrial Publishing's copyright.

If that's the case, I'll have no part of it.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Tom sez:

Yeah, but about the same criminal intent.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Bob Swinney

Stealing may mean purchasing at a bargain price. I doubt anyone in this fine forum advocates outright theft. The only copy I have of machineries book I paid 1 dollar for at a garage sale

Reply to
dann mann

Reply to
Stan Weiss

On a 56k line almost forever - probably cheaper to buy a copy.

Regards,

Marv

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Publishing binaries of various books etc, both out of print and current copywrited material is quite previlent on the binary newsgroups. While quite illegal, or at the least, actionable, its still common as dirt. In all formats, from PDF, to Doc files etc etc. Often generally for Ebook reader formats but transportable to home PCs easily enough.

There actually are hordes of shut-ins, invalids, college students, housewives, etc etc both scanning and OCRing books, not just at random, but to order, then publishing them for free on the net.

ONE of the rationals for this, is the ability to store the book or article in electronic media, and usable by PDA, laptop etc etc..and makes the ability to collect a HUGE library of fiction, nonfiction, reference materials and place them in hard storage, such as a few CDs, taking up minimal space in the process. This is quite important to those traveling, or those living in very limited space. Or those survivalists, as an example, whom may have to Bugout at some point, but want to have a reference library for future needs, that they can carry with them.

Im not aware of many publishers offering books, particularly those out of print, on electronic media. This is often done under the Underground Project Guttenberg criteria.

I personally prefer the printed word. I have several thousand books here at the homestead, and also have gigs of non copyrighted material on electronic media, but still far and away prefer the printed page.

It sucks to have to carry your laptop into the toilet for a good "sit down and read", plus there is simply Something about having a book in ones hand that is comforting.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

Use Powergrab

if you are downloading binaries. Automatically decodes and saves parts into a specified directory, etc, and it is free. Geoff

Reply to
geoff merryweather

How quaint.

There's a simple and legal solution. Buy the book. Then download the scanned version, or scan it yourself. It's perfectly legit to make a copy in another medium, for your own use, of a book you own.

I'm sure they can find a rationalization for almost anything.

If you want a big, legal library of electronic books, you can download over

6,200 of them, many of them among the great classics of the world's literature, from Project Gutenberg. That will keep even a speed-reading survivalist busy for the rest of his or her life. If you want an electronic version of a book currently under copyright, then do as I described above.
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Another is a silent protest about the ridiculous ongoing extension of copyright. I tend to purchase books that are under around 30 years old from living authors, and download the rest.

On more recent books if I read the first chapter, and like it, I generally buy it if it's in print.

If it's a Baen book then I generally buy it online as an e-copy. If only more publishers would do this.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You will note that I did not defend the practice, and I mentioned that I have a bit of non copyrighted electronic media.

I was only giving you a heads up, on the practice, which you or others may have not been aware of. I used survivalists only as an example, they are only a tiny smidgen of a fraction of those whom download those books.

So dont be chillin on me, ok?

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

And lo, it came about, that on Sat, 04 Oct 2003 19:42:20 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , Gunner was inspired to utter:

Its worse when you don't have a laptop to take to the can ...

I spend a week or more trying to get the "help" files into a manageable form so I could print them out and "take 'em to the can" when things didn't work as advertised.

Besides, ballpoint pens just don't write on the screen as well ...

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich