Machinerys Handbook on binary newsgroup

And lo, it came about, that on Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:35:02 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , "Jon Grimm" was inspired to utter:

Heck, the 7th edition (1940) has stuff not found in the 26. (I have both: one for class, one to tease teachers.) Ferinstance: the 26th lacks the sections on Railroad Shop Data, Knots & Slings for Handling Work and an illustrated Dictionary of Shop Terms. (But the Seventh considers carbide the bees knees in cutters, and has zippo about GD&T.)

There is a part of me which wants a second copy of the 26th at home, "just because".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Loren Coe

4 minutes? 4? SNarf!...sigh

Put them all into a single directory, and run the first file, it should unzip and form them all into a book format. It may ask you where you want to put them, so tell it to make a directory of whatever name you so choose.

I downloaded the first segment and ran it..so based on that property and what it asked for..

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

I tried to find it, and the newsgroup comes up blank. Is it just my ISP? or is it gone. I'd sure like to have it in computer readable format.

Reply to
clare

The Gutenberg Project is not "underground". Suggest you check it out. They only publish works with permission or works that the copyrights have expired or have been abandoned. Good folks, good stuff - even if you have to take the laptop into the can.

Regards,

Marv

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

Use this news reader it can put the parts together:

Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Yea I couldn't find it either...

Reply to
highrider71

yeah, cable really does impact on this type of xfer, it was just shy of 30mb, so that's 7.5m/min. that's well within just average bandwidth availibility (which is _always_ throttled).

great, thanks! i will just monkey see/do before i try too hard.

BTW, i see the files have been pulled. last nite i saw the number of them was down to 81. interesting. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

yesterday i added the group but Comcast would not show the ng, i use slrn, so it thought they didn't carry binaries and shrugged it off.

later, after exiting and restarting slrn, it was there, along with the 83 posts. normally if i request a new group it shows up immediately w/no posts avail untill i refresh.

in this case i can speculate that the binary type causes Comcast to act differently, maybe recovering the ng from "nearline" storage? in anycase, the posts have been pulled. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Sorry for the confusion Marv. The UNDERGROUND Gutenburg Project is something completly different than the marvelous authentic Gutenburg Project. The Underground prefix is used to distinquish between the outlaws and the legitimate.

Gunner

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it is easier to harrass rich women than it is motorcycle gangs." - Bumper Sticker

Reply to
Gunner

I thow my vote in with Ed on this one. I certainly know this stuff goes on all the time all over the place, and it's particularly egregious when it's done by college profs who will copy entire currently published documents to hand out to their students. Most decent schools won't put up with it. I have an aquaintance who's in the legal departmentof a major textbook publisher. They periodically bring action against schools who do this, to keep things under some measure of control, and have won some sizeable settlements.

What bothers me most is that otherwise "respectable folks" will talk about doing things like this the same way they'll brag at cocktail parties about how much they are cheating IRS. When I mention that they just admitted to something which has a direct effect on how much more I have to pay for goods, or in taxes, they look at me like I'm the crazy one. I sure wish they'd keep their pie holes shut about what they do, 'cause I can't keep mine shut when I hear them say things like that, and I catch hell from SWMBO later for "embarrassing her".

Part of my attitude on this subject is because SWMBO and I self publish a reading program for special needs students. It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to create the materials in the program kit. We've sold maybe 3,000 of them over the past dozen years, it's certainly not a mainstream income maker for us.

Every so often we meet a schoolteacher who says to one of us, "Oh, I just love your WKRP program, it's helped a lot of my students." When we ask her more about it she'll often reply, "A teacher I know at another school Xeroxed a copy for me." My response usually is, "Well I sure hope she used a color copier, the materials work much better if the kids can see and respond to the color coding is several of its units.

The word chutzpah was redefined when an Israeli teacher of english emailed us saying she'd snagged some of the example materials off our little web site (wkrp.org) which were working great for her. She asked when we were going to put more such examples on the web site.

To reduce this to absurdity; Marilyn Vos Savant mentioned in her column today that the lyrics to the "Happy Birthday Song" will remain copyrighted until 2010, but the melody is in the public domain. Apparantly it's OK for you to sing it to SWMBO yourself, but if you take her to out to celebrate and a group of waiters and waitresses sing it in unison at your table it's a "performance" and violates the copyright laws. She said that some restaurants have their servers sing a modified set of lyrics to avoid being hassled by ASCAP.

Jeff (The Sox just won game 4 not two minutes ago!!!)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
[ ... ]

It is a usenet newsgroup -- and most servers have an expiration time on whatever is posted. If it is an alt.binaries.* newsgroup, the expire time is likely to be *very* short, because binaries chew up most of the bandwidth of the web, and unless you are in the business of archiving the total flow of usenet, you will drop big things fast.

I don't carry *any* alt.binaries.* newsgroups on my news server. I don't have the bandwidth to deal with that.

I'm not sure whether the publishers of _Machinery's Handbook_ will be pushing to get this removed even sooner, but they would certainly be within their rights to do so. This is an obvious violation of their copyright.

And they *do* offer it in CD-ROM format. I have the version for the 25th edition, which was in a proprietary format. The 26th edition I believe uses PDF, so it is easier to read on various systems, including uncommon ones.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

...>>

...>

there are some reposts today by this 'bubba' person in response to some traffic on that ng. there are 5 or 6 now, down from 8 a few hours ago. seems that Don N. is correct, they are being reaped, probably 2x/day, or several times based on date/time stamps. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

The length of time a file stays on the server is up to the individual ISP. Some (ISPs) remove files in a matter of hours, others in days. All the posts of the subject files are still available on Earthlink.

Reply to
Dragon Doctor

This is a very cool program - Thanks!

Jay

Reply to
JJ

yes, it dawned on me after reading Don's post a 2nd time, there are _two_ hosts that will affect posting lifetime, the orignation point and the reception point. both will be expiring posts. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

I don't think that's correct. There's one host that counts - the storage point (news server).

The originator can provide a value for the "Expires" field and the receipient can filter posts based on date, but I think the news server can keep the posts indefinitely, if that's what the sysadm wants.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

PLONK Gerry :-)} London, Canada