Bud Nosen Gerry Sport

Got a NIB Bud Nosen Gerry Sport I'm never going to build. Great kit. 8 ft biplane. $250.00 takes it.

Reply to
AV8R

Six_O'Clock_High

It needs at least a G62.

Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Reply to
AV8R

I still want to talk to someone that flew it with the Nosen recommended glow .60 two-stroke.

The wife and I covered one of these behemoths for a friend many years ago. We started Friday night after work and didn't finish until evening of Sunday. The house stunk of heated Worldtex for a weak afterwards.

I'd like to have one for myself.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Is the kit still available? If it is in pristine condition and you will pay the shipping, I'll pay your asking price via PayPal. Let me know.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

He has a valid return E-mail.

Reply to
Morgans

Last years version flew extremely well with the Q 50 so the G62 will be overkill, especially since it was designed to be flown with MUCH smaller engines (Q35 for one). Don't know which one will wind up on this years version.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" version.

The one that the wife and I covered for a friend, which I bought from another friend and sold to the guy wanting it covered, was designed to be flown with a glow two-stroke .60 on a belt reduction drive.

The owner intended to utilize a Q35 on it, but I had my doubts about the airframe holding up to the pounding. It had not been beefed up from the original design for the .60 at all and was making me wonder if the firewall would hold the engine without it running, much less running.

Yes, it most definitely was intended to be a kite. The novelty of a model of that size flying at all in those days would have drawn folks from several counties to observe a flight if publicly announced. This was in the very late Seventies/early Eighties, IIRC. And I know I do.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, Unless the FW was 1/4 ply unsupported, it should be fine without any significant beefing up. All I did to mount the Q 50 was put a double on the front of the FW to spread the load more toward the edges. Of course the double was 1/4 AC ply.

Jim

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The Gerry Sport is tempting. However I have been looking for a Bud Nosen Trainer. Now thats a forest of balsa. If I cannot find the kit I would like to find a set of plans to attempt to scratch build this legend. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Paintballmavin

OOps....sorry Ed. Didn't see your post. I do have it but Paypal is a NO NO!

Ed Cregger wrote:

Reply to
AV8R

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I built a Bud Nosen trainer a few years ago. I was dumb enough to put a

91 Surpass on it, which was WAY overpowered. For the "throttle back" chorus that usually chimes in at this point in the conversation, it wouldn't sit still on the runway. It taxied too fast all the time, plus it was just too much in the air. I suppose I could have tried some very low pitch props on it. Anyway, I wonder what it would have been like with the recommended .60 instead of a 91. I wouldn't mind building one again some day.

Doc Fergus>

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

--------------

When flying off smooth, hard surfaces, just about any size engine will pull the model forward at idle.

I used to pull the nose gear wheel collar off and insert a piece of fuel line over the axle, then reinstall the wheel collar. By adjusting the wheel collar closer or farther from the wheel hub, you could adjust the amount of "braking" you received from the piece of fuel liine.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

That's a clever idea. My Nosen Trainer was also equipped with four optional engine pods and OS 26 engines. In four-engine configuration, the 91 came off and a cover plate was placed over the hole in the balsa cowling. It looked great, and the four 4-strokes running at the same time was a very nice sound. And the throttle linkage was an engineering feat to be proud of. Unfortunately, in this configuration it taxied at almost take-off speed. I had to taxi it in the grass, and it was still too much. The plane made me nervous enough that I decided to sell it before I wrecked it. I'm sure a piece of fuel line on the nosegear would have helped, but it was a handful in the air anyway.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

OK< Who is hoarding all the Bud Nosen Plans. Yah you out there chuckling, clutching some of the only plans that were hung on to. Come on Share with the rest of us that did not hang on to plans thinking they would always be around. Pretty soon I will be asking for broken wings and do a post on them, recreate ribs, etc. Ah a fuselage broken. Another autopsy and the fuselage is created Elevator and Rudder................and a Bud Nosen Plane is " Alive," Its Alive. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

Reply to
tom withers

Hi, Tom. Glad to hear from you again.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. We did.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger