Building Safer LiIon Batteries

It appears that there is some interesting work going on with LiIon Iron Phosphate. There is no breakdown or oxygen liberation until the material hits 800 degrees Celcius. The main advantage is a resistance to thermal runaway even under high discharge rates. It can be used in wound cylindrical, wound prismatic and polymer batteries. I haven't heard anything about power density, but I'll keep my ears open. This could be a significant improvement in safety in our applications. Have you heard anything about this yet Red?

Jim Beck

Reply to
James Beck

Yes, A small company known as Valence Technology has been promoting it for some time. If you believe it is a great technology you can buy their stock at $2.81. It peaked at around $40 in 2000.

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I wonder if that was just because of the bubble popping, or is the technology not working/ramping up like they had hoped? What works good in the lab doesn't always make an easy transition to the plant.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Ask yourself the question. Why, if the technology is anywhere close to being viable in today's market, hasn't Valence Technology been gobbled up by one of the majors? Remember the early days of Ni-MH, when it was developed by Ovonics - it was picked up by a number of companies including General Electric (and Ovonics technology was inferior to that introduced shortly after by Sanyo and Panasonic).

Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Week ending 3/3/2000 it peaked at just over $34 to be more accurate. In spite of having seven consecutive quarters of revenue growth, they reported only 2.84 mil in revenue for first quarter of FY 2005. And still report a net loss of 9.2 mil. Looks like they bought some shares back too.

That peak in 2000 was the only time they've been priced that high. And the price went up in a rush and back down almost as fast. Wonder why? Other than that, the price has stayed pretty much right where it's at now. And without any profits to hand out dividends with................

This of course is just a quick glance at the company and should not be construed as anything but that. In spite of the potential of the technology, I see issues that would raise some serious questions. History is full of also rans that had the better product!

So how much do you own Red? And how far below your break even point is it now?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

That's easy Red. Even the big boys make mistakes! They are after all only human.

Look at IBM! They had the ownership of DOS in their hands and turned it down. So Bill kept it. Look at Apple! I think it was Steve Jobs that let Bill Gates see the new Apple OS that used "windows" for user interface.

Nobody's perfect!

Reply to
C.O.Jones