crash big time

well, lost my trusty trainer today...After roughly 50 hours flying time my superstar select met a horrible demise...Shouldn't have been flying in the 1st
place, i went against my better judgement and flew in 12+mph winds, gustin to close to 20, 1st 2 flights were uneventful, should have packed it up and went home after that. 3rd flight, was about 40' up and lost it in the sun, by the time i saw it again the wings were horizontal to the ground, couldn't tell if it was going away from me or coming towards me, couldn't react in time to save it as it was going so fast. Went straight into the ground and had to dig the engine out of about 3" of dirt. Oh well, have a shiny new big stik 60 on the workbench which i'm just about finished putting together. I will be alot more careful with that one. I keep hearing from fellow enthusiast someday you will crash the plane, i kept thinking, naw, not me.....hahaha....
It's never a question of if.. but when. There'll be more.
MJC

how many have you crashed?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:32:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (jeffm) wrote:

I don't have an exact count at my fingertips.
Here are 5 pages on my more memorable crashes:
<http://moleski.net/rc/b4after0.htm
                Marty
(jeffm) wrote:

I visited your website and enjoyed the tales and pics. In reading the tribute to your friend, Doug Webb, I noticed a few pictures of the Hobbico FlightStar40. I have one of these that I acquired in 1995 when I began flying again myself. If you have any more pictures or stories about your experiences with this plane I for one would love to look them over. :)

Marty,
I take my hat off for you and salute =)
Yes, I even put your crash page in my favourite links collection =))
There are mice and there are men, clearly you have boldly gone where few men have gone before (well, admitted going...=))
I have no crash pictures myself to put on the net. Thats not because I havent crashed any, thats because there was never much left to take pictures of...before doing some digging that is...
More power to ya!
Cheers, Ken
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 21:50:24 +0200, "Ken Mattsson"
Thanks. :o)

Taking pix & playing with html is a whole 'nother hobby all in itself. I carry a camera with me in my field box.

I'm working on a crash award for a fellow who buried his engine up to the backplate. He's getting Impact of the Year. :-O

Thanks. I'm working on a stupid-fast delta wing from Flying Models plans. Stay tuned for an update on the Before 'n' After pages. :o(
                    Marty
I did it in mud, does that count??.... The motor came up as an unrecognizable glob of dirt... I had to rotate what was left of the fuse in circular fashion to break the suction and get it out..... It will be repaired, I hope, after I finish the current repair job I'm working on..... sigh. . Arne, CT, USA .
wrote:

men

Yes, it does, although it won't rate as highly on the Wrecked'er Scale as an equally deep dive into hardpan.

We rate excavations by the number of hands and tools required to free the remnants from the dirt. Sounds like yours was definitely a four-handed figler.

Good for you!
                    Marty

Been there, done that!!
Best as I could tell I think a wire on a battery pack broke. Problem was, it was during a loop, 3/4ths done, wide open throttle, a .40 engine on a standard combat gremlin. Fortunately, it had recently rained. Some JB weld for the carb mount, and it is still flying today. Way to go Fox!!!
All of them, sooner or later
Don

I'm probably in the 60-70 range. A plane is just starting to feel good when you start making repairs with duct tape :)

All Of them! That's how you get room in your hangar to build all those other kits that you just HAD to have. The key to this crash seems to be in the sentence...Lost it in the sun... That's what'll get to you, not the winds that day. When all else fails, Gravity won't...
Good luck, keep flying, Andy
We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!
jeffm wrote:

All of them. Including the ones that haven't flown yet.

Not counting the ones I'm flying now?... All of them.
MJC

There are planes that have not crashed and there are planes that have. They migrate from one list to another with enough regularity that I tell newbies the questions is NOT will you crash, but WHEN.

1st
went
the
if
save
the
the
more
will
If you fly them, they will crash... eventually. If they never crash, they're never flown.
MJC

They
newbies

Ever, crash one going through a door? or car door?
Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email
Dan Thompson wrote:

Best ever, is I opened up the lightweight foamie box, and the kitten pounced. Never got it OUT OF THE BOX.

Or stepped on one? The worst was when I slipped while reaching behind one and fell on the sucker. Totally rekitted.
--
Dan
KE6ERB