crash big time

well, lost my trusty trainer today...After roughly 50 hours flying time my superstar select met a horrible demise...Shouldn't have been flying in the 1st place, i went against my better judgement and flew in 12+mph winds, gustin to close to 20, 1st 2 flights were uneventful, should have packed it up and went home after that. 3rd flight, was about 40' up and lost it in the sun, by the time i saw it again the wings were horizontal to the ground, couldn't tell if it was going away from me or coming towards me, couldn't react in time to save it as it was going so fast. Went straight into the ground and had to dig the engine out of about 3" of dirt. Oh well, have a shiny new big stik 60 on the workbench which i'm just about finished putting together. I will be alot more careful with that one. I keep hearing from fellow enthusiast someday you will crash the plane, i kept thinking, naw, not me.....hahaha....

Reply to
jeffm

It's never a question of if.. but when. There'll be more.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

how many have you crashed?

"MJC" wrote:

Reply to
jeffm

There are planes that have not crashed and there are planes that have. They migrate from one list to another with enough regularity that I tell newbies the questions is NOT will you crash, but WHEN.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I don't have an exact count at my fingertips.

Here are 5 pages on my more memorable crashes:

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

All of them, sooner or later

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Sorry for your loss but as the sayin goes, If you aint crashin, you aint flyin. Quite often you would be surprised at how fixable a crashed plane can be however, diggin out an engine buried 3" into the dirt sounds like the plane is terminal. When I crash a plane I just put it to the side for a while. After about a week, its not looking as bad as it did at the field. About a week after that I look at it and think, I can fix this! Of course there have been other times where I just stripped out the reusable goodies at the field and trashed the kibble and bits. Do NOT spin that engine till you can disassemble it and clean it. Good luck with the Big Stik!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Reply to
John York

I'm probably in the 60-70 range. A plane is just starting to feel good when you start making repairs with duct tape :)

Reply to
Boris

All Of them! That's how you get room in your hangar to build all those other kits that you just HAD to have. The key to this crash seems to be in the sentence...Lost it in the sun... That's what'll get to you, not the winds that day. When all else fails, Gravity won't...

Good luck, keep flying, Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

I visited your website and enjoyed the tales and pics. In reading the tribute to your friend, Doug Webb, I noticed a few pictures of the Hobbico FlightStar40. I have one of these that I acquired in 1995 when I began flying again myself. If you have any more pictures or stories about your experiences with this plane I for one would love to look them over. :)

Reply to
NewsReader

All of them. Including the ones that haven't flown yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not counting the ones I'm flying now?... All of them.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

If you fly them, they will crash... eventually. If they never crash, they're never flown.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Just like people. I only wish I knew when my own expiration date was so I could quit wasting time working on projects that I won't be here to finish :-)

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Ever, crash one going through a door? or car door?

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Best ever, is I opened up the lightweight foamie box, and the kitten pounced. Never got it OUT OF THE BOX.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or stepped on one? The worst was when I slipped while reaching behind one and fell on the sucker. Totally rekitted.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Now there's a keeper!....cc

Reply to
CC

On my way home from the field after my first solo session, where my plane needed no repairs, my 100 lbs. air compressor tipped over on top of my trainer.

Total rebuild. Great irony. Even my wife felt bad for me!

Reply to
Morgans