Dave Smith "Smart Move Ex" question

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Dave Smith "Smart Move Ex" model but I want to fit tricycle retracts. Has anyone done this and if so can they say how much of a pain it was ?

Alternatively if you built yours with the standard gear I'd still be interested to know how feasible you think it would be to do this.

(Btw I have DS's email address but I'm interested in actual users experiences firstly).

Many thanks,

Reply to
Boo

I don't have one but I see two possible concerns.

The first would be the "Fuel Tank" space taken up by the nose gear. Not an impossible issue to deal with but one requiring some thought first. Maybe use a pump and use a header tank with a second one over the CG.

Second problem might be the length of the nose gear. If too long it will retract into the center of the wing leading edge. Again not an insurmountable issue but one that requires planning as this may affect wing attachment and related things. I had a Super Lucky Fli once that I did this to. Took a little engineering but worked out fine.

I'd also be inclined to use a bulkhead mounting nose gear. Hang it off the back side of the firewall.

Looks like a nice plane. Let us know how yours turns out.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones

This is where a 90 degree rotating nose gear would help, but I know of no such animal available for RC. I've got plans for a semi-scale twin that had just that in the full size plane. If the wheel had not rotated, the radar operator would have had nowhere to put his feet!

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Actually, after thinking about, I don't think that would be such a difficult task. A couple of bevel gears. The first is on the strut either above or below the pivot point. The second mounts on the axel of the pivot point and they mesh with each other. The second serves two purposes. When the strut is down, the second gear is able to freely rotate on the pivot to provide steering to the wheel. And when the strut retracts, the second gear stays stationary and causes the strut to rotate 90 degrees.

That's the basic concept anyway. Some details to deal with but I bet it would work. You could incorporate a switch that disables the steering servo except when the strut is down. That would prevent movement in the wheel well. Have to figure the gear ratios either by math or trial and error. Might be a fun project though. Doubt there would be a lot of commercial call for it though but, could be worth a try.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I had one of these from santa!

Seems like a nice kit but the box is absolute s**te. It isnt even a box, just sheets of card taped up so after I had opened it to hve a gander I had nothing left to store the kit in in the workshop. I know, I know, I bought a kiit not a box, but honestly. No wonder the ARTF from Taiwan are doing so well.

Anyway, looking forward to flying it. I too had thought of retracts...I'll watch this one with interest.

Reply to
david

Hi, thanks for posting. Do you have any opinions on how easy it'd be to get tricycle retracts into the model ?

Points that occurred to me are :

Is there enough space between the firewall and first bulkhead to fit a noseleg and wheel in the retracted position ?

What about tank space ? Could it be moved to the CG or would it be at the wrong height there ?

Are there any spars or fittings in the wing that'll prevent the installation of retracts ?

etc ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

I dont know yt, had a cursory look then re-boxed it and went away for 2 weeks toi the sun!!

Why not try taildragger style?

I'll have a better look later and let you know.

david

Reply to
david