Direct drive, props sizes?

I have a HIMAXX 4100 brushless motor that was used in a gear box with a 10x8 GWS prop with success. But I prefer direct drive and it came with a collet adapter for APC props.

My questions are can I use it without gears for direct drive with an APC 10x7 since it came with the adapter? Or should I use even a lower-higher pitch-diameter prop?

I don't have a Motocalc.

Wan

Reply to
Wan

I'll have to do some guessing here. If the motor is a Himaxx 2015/4100 then the following numbers apply:

7 cells and 5:1 gear box with 10x8 prop = 10 amps and 12oz thrust, well with in the max of 12 amps. 7 cells direct with 10x7 prop = 40 amps, the motor would last a few seconds before burning up. With 7 cells and direct drive, a 4x3 prop will give you about 11 amps and 7oz of thrust.

'Fritz the Cat' Blackburn VP-94 Techrep NAS New Orleans

Wan wrote:

Reply to
Fritz Blackburn

From what little I know, the Himaxx motors are not meant for direct drive. For high speed applications, you could try lower gearing, but 1:1 I don't think so. For direct drive, you need an outrunner or one of the standard brushless types that are meant for direct drive. If you prefer direct drive for all of your applications (like me) then you'll want to go with the outrunners generally.

Reply to
Frank Costa

Then get yourself onto the E-zone

and subscribe to the power forum.

You are in the wrong place here.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fritz, You guessed very close. The motor is a HIMAXX 2015/4100 and I was using a 10x8 GWS prop as I decribed. But the gearbox is 6:1 instead. My needs are to go direct drive without those gearboxes.

What is the unusual site you came up with that makes the sounds?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

Hi Wan I read some of your other posts.......dont be into much of a hurry and give up on geared motors. A simple thing would be to ask yourself this: What performance do you want from your plane.........GET MOTOCALC....you will be glad you did :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Mike,

Thanks. Many posters said I should get a Motocalc. Perhaps I should!

I wanted direct drive because I'm frustrated in not being able to buy

6:1 GWS gearboxes from the LHS. They told me they had them on back order for four months.

The ones they do have, have a very cumbersome box which I bought along with a motor I didn't want for $19 when the gearbox alone used to be $3.50.

I believe I said the HIMAXX 2212/34 had performed very well with the cheap gearbox I had before.

I 'd be happy if someone would tell me where to find 6:1 GWS gearboxes with the small boxes?

Wan

Reply to
Wan

HImax 2212/34? Those numbers are an AXI model I believe. If it's an AXI your have, then you don't need a gearbox. Anyway, I just ordered a bunch of GWS gearboxes and assorted related items at

. I've never had a problem with them.

Reply to
Frank Costa

Wan,

Parkflyermotors.com also has an excel spreadsheet on their site that predicts thrust, pitch speed, current draw, battery duration and other factors for the Himax (and wide range of other BL motors) with different cell counts, props and gear ratios. It is a very accurate and useful tool. Parkflyermotors also carries the nicely crafted aluminum stick mount gearbox from Chikyung Won that uses the GWS shafts and gears. Himax is about to release a stick mount aluminum gear box like the GWS box that includes an integrated heat sink. Anytime Parkflyermotors or aeromicro is out of stock on GWS bits, then try aircraft-world.com in Japan. Also a very good vendor with many other hard to find parts.

Reply to
mike tully

Got to

and use their free motor calculator. I believe Himaxx motors are in their database.

Rein

Reply to
Rein

is your friend.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this Frank writing? No, it's not an AXI direct drive, unfortunately. I found the site I needed. But your the address you gave has an extra "n" in it. It was the computer that corrected it to I found the gearbox but it does seem to need parts for it to work;

Name: Typhoon Gearbox for HiMaxx Item#: TYPHOONGB Price/ea. $20.00

The Typhoon Gearbox is state of the art, designed for lightness and

3-D flying in mind. Items needed to complete the gearbox: 1 - GWS Pinion 1 - GWS Spur (same letter as pinion, A/B/C/D) 2 - GWS Ball Bearings 1 - GWS Output Shaft 1 - HiMaxx 2015 or 2025 Motor

So what do you think? For $20.00 must I look for those parts again?

Thanks, Wan

Reply to
Wan

I am back. I think the problem with breaking GWS gearboxes may be solved. Just tried a special glue I bought from the lady from Germany at the Toledo Expo this year. I also bought the powder that was offered.

Experimenting, I used the powder with the glue on the same plastic as the gear box was made. It held as if it was steel. Now if I added some fiberglass..... "The test is in the pudding" : )

Wan

Reply to
Wan

I thought I should move my last post to the end in this thread so you folks would know of my possible solution to the gearbox breaking problem;