First solo flight.

Well, not entirely true, I've been flying 3 channel electric gliders for awhile. But, this was my first nitro plane, a .60 Alpha Trainer. I've had the plane for two months polishing, admiring, and "breaking in" the Evolution .61 engine. Since our rc airport is closed because of the snow and mud, I went out to the high desert that has a smooth blacktop road running straight across it. I loaded two planes in the truck and headed out. I first flew my Terry trying to loosen up. Then I fired up the big Evolution, did a range check and then taxied around. Very manuverable. When I ran out of excuses I lined up and gave it the gas. As expected it started drifting left but I got off the ground before there was a problem

The first thing that occured to me is "this thing is BIG" Throaty growl and the sound of air rushing over the flying surfaces was very noticable. I trimmed it out and flew. Now this is flying! After wimpy speed 400 and 600 I had a handful of muscle. Half throttle was plenty and full throttle had it climbing for the clouds. I did plenty of slow fly bys down the "runway" to see how slowly I could fly. It was beautiful, gleaming red in the sun, engine running perfect at one third throttle and leaving a trail of smoke (new to me) but I was alarmed at what seemed a fairly good clip would stall the aircraft. I guess eight pounds is eight pounds regardless of the trainer design. Glad I found this out, I would have crashed on landing for sure. After a full twenty minutes it was time. I still came in a bit slow and stalled the plane two or three feet high, landing on the nose wheel with a thud, the plane did one hop and landed on its feet. Not a scratch. Fewwww, I was soaked in sweat and my mouth was very dry. That was just about as good as life gets. I had the same indescribable feeling I did two years ago when I learned to fly (self taught all the way) a foam piper cub for the first time, and when I learned to slope a sailplane with no instructions except the seagulls. Pure exhilleration and the good feeling of pulling it off against the odds. I am sooo hooked. Dan Cutter

Reply to
dancutter

I just noticed your message. Thanks for sharing that. I really enjoyed reading your message.

I've been out of RC for a while now but have had many great experiences of flying by myself or with friends.

Enjoy!

Reply to
Darcy

Congratulations!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Congratulations, Dan! There's nothing quite like the exhilaration of getting a new plane up in the air and down again without rekitting it. Next time, come in a bit faster and raise the nose just before touchdown to get it to land on the main gear. That'll keep it from bouncing! :-)

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

I will, I will! I can't wait! I have to wait out a few days of weather though. Thanks for your enthusiasm. I got my private pilot's license in the 1990's. This is harder. Dan

Reply to
dancutter

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers