Floats for Hangar 9 cub

Anyone know what size of floats should be used with the hangar 9 80" ARF cub? or barring that, know the distance from the engine thrust washer to the rudder hinge line?

John

Reply to
John T

Here is how to determine the correct float size: The bow of the float should extend about 1/2 the prop length ahead of the prop. The step goes at the C/G. Take this measurement and double it for the total length. It can be a little longer or shorter but you don't want the tail of the float to extend too far to the rear as it impeads the takeoff.

Gord Schindler MAAC6695

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Gordon,

A rule of thumb for length of floats is 75-80 percent of the length from the thrust washer on the engine, to the rudder hinge line. Since I don't have the hangar 9 cub (yet), I was wondering if someone did, or anyone who has this bird could measure it so I could either order floats at the same time, or make my own.

Chuck Cunningham covered making floats and their placement in much detail over the years in RCM.

John

Reply to
John T