glider ( sailplane ) foot launcher?

Hey folks. When I was first getting started (like two months ago), I was a bit concerned about hand launching a pusher. I had envisioned bending up some of the spare metal conduit in the garage into a weight driven launcher. Like a rake might be used in slapstick comedy (literally), only with sufficient offset to prevent wacking the operator who just put all his weight on the crank.

Of course it can get more complicated: release angle, elasticity of the arm, weight of the operator, anchor points, connecting and releasing the plane, possible linkages and cams etc... I saw the plastic bungee launcher but had envisioned something much more rakelike and simpler in design.

I since don't have any hangups tossing the powered pusher by hand. I didn't have to slice myself more than once to remember to follow through. But I find myself enjoying the gliding around and milking the wind with the power off portion almost more than the power on portion (yes, there is a slight difference between the two with an electric).

So I'm looking at more advanced gliders than the slinger (though I did hear of one report of someone thermalling one). Of course it has to be cheap and don't care to mess with bagging (I've done it on real wings) as a diy this point. And I'm looking at HLGs and DLGs and whatnots and of course I'm floored by the prices. Not suprised, just sure it won't be worth it for me. When I realise that this DLG tip launch thing is just using a longer arm to get better launches, which is exactly what the rake would do for $200 less, and you can control the length of the arm and use your whole body weight without doing a pirouette. You should be able to launch anything with the right hook reciever and an experienced stomp (jump?).

Surely I'm not the first to think of this, but I have not seen anything online as of yet. Anyone have any info/prior results to share?

Thanks, Steve.

Reply to
Steve Banks

refer to Alan's Hobby Model & RC Web Links

scroll down past many other interesting topics to = Catapults, Bungees & Winches

Bungee Launcher & catapult Illustrations - email Alan for Jpegs. Bungymania ***** Catapult - several shown under "Tips,Tricks, Reviews" Dynaflite Hi-Starts Electric winch (12V) - email Alan for Jpeg of winch & turnaround plans. Golden Retriever - download pdf. Histart products and supplies, Dream Catcher Hobby Inc. LiteFlite Engineering Northeast Sailplane Products -- Winch Stuff The Easimore Launching System Winch NZ and others follow further down

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby Model & RC Web Links

A.T.