GP Patriot XL!

Hi, I wonder if anyone out there is building and flying the Great-Plane Patriot XL with an OS-91FX? Does this engine require a special type of engine mount since it generates lots of vibration.

Thanks In Advance!

Phi

Reply to
Phi

Phi, Checkout RCU ,

is a link about it and the forum that this came from also deals with speed prop planes. John

Reply to
John Graham

I"ve had my Pat for over two years now. I put a MVVS 49 with pipe and it's a fine combination.Quiet a bit of lead in the tail. With the 91,you'll have one heavy weight and probably won't gain that much and the balsa cowling around the engine will really be carved away.

If your dead set for the 91 I'd use a vibration mount but your really gonna be squeezing it in,if at all.

2 cents
Reply to
TX_QBALL

He's talking about the .60 - .90 size Patriot XL not the .40 size Patriot

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Hello Folks, Thanks for all comments! It seems that I haven't really got a straight answer so far. From talking to several guys at the field who recommended a Sullivan engine mounting that uses gromet to damp out the vibrations. Others said that would make the vibration worse since engine and mounting are not one solid piece. These are all theories and none of them really tests it. Hopefully someone will come alone with a better tested solution.

Thanks again!

Phi

Reply to
Phi

I recently built a GP Patriot XL and haven't flown it. It has a Super Tigre .61 on it. I have done many ground tests with it. It does vibrate, but not very much. To prevent the vibration, I simply made the idle higher than normal so it wouldn't rattle around. Hope this helps :D

Nikolizer1

Reply to
Nikolizer1

"Nikolizer1" wrote

I assume both of you have balanced your prop _and spinner_ very well, and using a good method?

Reply to
Morgans

Well, I don't usually worry about the nose cone. It has a 12x8 sport prop on it. a couple days ago, I took it out for another ground check and then the throttle barrel popped out. Took care of that and she runs great.

I'll be sure to post some pics soon.

Reply to
Nikolizer1

Not bad craftsmanship for a 15 year-old huh? :p

Still waiting for someone else to blow your horn? Flown it yet? LT

Reply to
lightthings

Let's just rain all over a kids enthusiasm.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Yeah, doing that makes it clear that you don't want new folks in the hobby unless they are over 90 or so. . .

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Nikolizer1, it looks good! mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

It looks fast just sitting there. :D

Nice job... I hope it flies as good as it looks! I love the sound of those old Super Tigre mufflers. I have a bunch of old ST engines from .25 on up, and most are old enough to have those neat exhausts. Great stuff! The new ones are big and ugly.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob

It's true, the old Super Tigre engines were lean and mean. The new stuff is too PC to be exciting like the old engines.

Ed Cregger

ecregger