Ham RC, any less occurance of interference than public RC band.

Who has an impression from self-experience of occurrences of radio interference issue comparing the ham band to the public RC band?

I want instances of high probability of loss due to interference occurrences regarding these.

No speculation analysis responses needed, please.

Reply to
warlockg

This topic has been discussed a million times - do a quick google search and you can read all about it!

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

OOPS! - My bad, I assumed that maybe folks knew how to google search the newsgroups. For those that don't you can click the link (or cut/paste to browser) below!

FredD

RedFred1

I don't use google. Where do I find it?

Reply to
warlockg

just remember to select to search only in REC.MODELS.RC.AIR

Reply to
Dell Shannon

Goggle searches executed: Ham RC , Ham Radio Control , Ham Modeling.

Several discussions found; some threads pre-80's. Not an excessive amount though on not on my focus yet. Some of my answers and details I wanted and would need were found, thanks. Glad the station ID key need was removed. Moreover, the Ham operator at the control point can allow another to use the unit. In addition, receivers are special builds beyond just a crystal change.

I still would like some kind of population data of problem occurrences with Ham. I have the personal data I need with the regular RC bands already.

Yes, interference is possible. Overlap is less likely on Ham.

Continuing on the negative and positive details of Ham search;

Any range change?

Any change in interference rejection?

Any additional alternate interference sources?

More important any sources experience causing a model loss?

Are these type of sources more or less common that public RC?

Why do shops ordering RC radios seem to get the same 10 randomly spaced channels, without special order?

I lost well over $1,000 and weeks of work on the last probable interference loss. Some of the next models efforts is going into planning and probably a Ham license and retuning a radio or two. I like the idea of it being not imposable to never meet a fellow modeler actively using my frequency for possibly,,,,, never. I already experience regular issues with 50 channels at events and my small club often have at least one other flyer to keep aware of. Still mistakes are made, and losses occur. Something about the nervousness, anxiety, and complexity of modeling make even the kindest souls turn the radio (or jump channels without the new channels clip) on first then maybe think they might be making a mistake that costs others. Then they just say, Sorry. After they caused more damage than they could with unlimited jumping on your airplane. And the perpetrator feels taken advantage of; if you ask for the cost of materials.

This hobby is a lousy in some aspects; but something about RC is extreemly addictive. It's probably the fumes.

Reply to
warlockg

| I still would like some kind of population data of problem occurrences with | Ham. I have the personal data I need with the regular RC bands already.

Do you have a scanner? Set it to scan the 50 mhz ham channels allocated to model control, and leave it scanning all the time, as you drive around town. Keep track of how often you hear something.

Don't forget that your transmitter is 1 watt, but you may be stomped on by somebody transmitting voice at 1500 watts. 20 miles away.

The ARRL band plan allocates those frequencies only to R/C model use, but people do occasionally violate the band plans.

| Yes, interference is possible. Overlap is less likely on Ham.

Interference is ALWAYS possible.

| Any range change? | | Any change in interference rejection? | | Any additional alternate interference sources?

Probably not. And you are away from the 72 mhz pager channels ... | More important any sources experience causing a model loss?

About 90% of crashes are due to interference -- or at least that's what it seems to be. `I was hit!' I doubt this is any different on the ham band :)

| Are these type of sources more or less common that public RC? | | Why do shops ordering RC radios seem to get the same 10 randomly spaced | channels, without special order?

I haven't seen that ...

| I lost well over $1,000 and weeks of work on the last probable interference | loss. Some of the next models efforts is going into planning and probably a | Ham license and retuning a radio or two.

I'm not sure that it's a simple matter of retuning. I think there's a bit more to that -- at least you'll need to replace some components.

The ham license itself is easy.

| This hobby is a lousy in some aspects; but something about RC is extreemly | addictive. It's probably the fumes.

I doubt it -- gliders and electrics are addictive too. Perhaps it's the glue fumes :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I operate on both 50 and 72mhz. Only time I was shot down was on 72mhz. The guy on the same freq turned on his tx AS he asked if the freq was clear. I have also had demonstrable interference glitches while on 72mhz. The only interference I have ever experienced on 50mhz was self induced by a 900mhz video tx installed in the plane which obliterated the 50mhz rx. Switching to a 72mhz tx that I had handy solved that problem. Other than that, I have been interference free on 50mhz. I have yet to run into anyone using my particular frequency at any field I have been to.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I've run into it at large fun flies, but a smaller gatherings you won't find 50 Mhz in use, in fact many CD's have the wrong impression that if you're running Ham Freq's that somehow you must be running old equipment.

That said, yes, I have had interference on 50 Mhz in Central MO, but no more so that 72 Mhz, and usually less. But it does happen.

A funny side note, I've never been asked by a CD to show my ham license, you'd think they would want to verify I can legally use those frequencies, yet it's never happened.

I do track down the Hams I find using my frequency so that we can have a chat, it's more interesting when you combine 2 hobbies that way.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings