IMAA to petition AMA re: Big Bird or Giant Scale meets.

Red,

You hit the nail on the head with the comment about 'marketing' and the lack of clues on the IMAA BOD. From what I hear the membership numbers are well under 8,000 which is down a bit from the high of over 12,000 BEFORE the 'no member no fly' rule was adopted and dues were raised. I also heard that the BOD does not want that number known by the general public. I guess that is because it shows their failure for all to fondle, spindle, bend, fold, and mutilate.

Too bad.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I profess ignorance on this, but has the phrase "Big Bird" been copyrighted (or trademarked) by the IMAA? If not, anybody can use it anytime. Anybody know about that copyright/trademark? And even if it has been , it has by now been passed into the "accepted generic term" catagory, just like other previously copyrighted words are no longer protected because of their "common" usage. Paragraph #5 on this page might address this to some extent.

MJC

approaches.

Reply to
MJC

I wonder how many more pilots would show up at "giant scale" fun flys if the IMAA membership wasn't a requirement?

Unfortunately, you guys are right...just what DOES the IMAA REALLY do?

The wingspan rule is a joke, since some true 1/4 scale planes are under that criteria. As for the "1/4 scale or larger" rule, many nice GIANT planes are

1/10 scale, like the B-17 at 1/15 scale even - almost 7'. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver

I think you may have nailed it there. We know what the organization WANTS, but what does it DO that promotes the hobby in any meaningful way? I mean, it seems that the IMAA is all about EXclusiveness rather than INclusiveness. By the very nature of their rules, they're more about keeping people out than they are about bringing people in. It's no wonder that membership is dwindling; the IMAA leadership is simply clueless and are no longer promoting the hobby as much as they are promoting themselves and their hold on "power". It's too bad that the leadership doesn't have the courage to TOTALLY re-evaluate the organization itself. If they would, it's possible that they could transform it into something that mattered. However, considering that their primary goal at this point is to argue about the meaning (and use) of the phrase "Big Bird", I think the IMAA organization is pretty much finished as a result of the cluelessness of it's leaders.

MJC

"Dr1Driver" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com...

Reply to
MJC

David, things do usually sound different from reality, especially when one has no knowledge of the situation, circumstances, or background information thereof. While the basic idea of IMAA certainly has been well diluted with the modern technology and advancements of model aviation, there still exists a certain group that has a special interest and their existence does no harm to anyone not interested in the group's specific interest. IMAA: Purpose The International Miniature Aircraft Association, Inc. (IMAA) is formed for the purpose of fostering and advancing the operation of large scale radio controlled model aircraft in a setting where informality and safety of operations prevail. Additionally, it is formed to create an atmosphere where pleasure, recreation, fellowship, and co-mingling can be fostered and found to exist amongst individuals enjoying the sport of building and flying large scale radio controlled model aircraft.

IMAA does not, as does the AMA, charter fields. IMAA requires that all IMAA members maintain AMA membership. IMAA members are as any other SIG group with one major exception.

Without investigating and refreshing the memory, I am saying that all other SIGs are generally around some form of competition, therefore there IS in the AMA's "Competition Regulations" a prescribed event for that SIG's activity. EXAMPLE: PAMPA (Precision Aerobatic Model Pilot's Association) has its own classes of competition, yet there is also an AMA set of classes. If one sanctions an event with AMA, the event is supposedly by AMA rules unless noted differently. IMAA is NOT a competition organization. IMAA does NOT have a set of rules in the *Rule Book*. When one advertises a non-IMAA BIG-Bird event, then the advertiser is infringing on the IMAA's established-in-use reputation.

Again, if IMAA separates from AMA, AMA is the loser. Thousands will simply go UMA as they did in Sport Flier days and YOUR dues will increase to take up the slack.

HC IMAA 04598 AMA 539

Reply to
CainHD

Reminds me of one Big Bird event where one of our local guys showed up with a monoplane with around a 60" wingspan. (I don't remember the exact dimensions, except that it was WAY less than 80") Some of the Giant Scale guys raised hell about it until it was pointed out that it was a 1/4 Scale Jeep.

Reply to
Bill

But basically, all this boils down to one organization wanting to cash in on all events where the planes are required to be a certain size. They feel that they have a right to do this, since it was their idea in the first place. We, as modelers just have to write the checks. (Something that we are apparently really good at.) Just what does IMAA provide, except employment for their BOD? AMA provides insurance, Does IMAA really provide anything? (Almost forgot, that REALLY great magazine)

Someone want to make some money? Start a Special Interest Group and call it Birds-Small (BS for short). If you have a plane with LESS than 80", you need to pay dues to the IRMAA, (That's International REALLY Miniature Aircraft Association) Set dues at $20.00 pr year. That is, of course, in addition to your AMA dues.We can all be Irmaa members. They could have a BOD, (Pay them handsomely, of course) Whatta you think? ;>)

Reply to
Bill

yes, he does: "If you are not both an IMAA and AMA member, and you do not wish to join at the event, please do not expect to fly there." your own words. if you aint IMAA, you don't get to fly at a "big Bird" end of statement

Ca>>>So, let me see if I understand this... Our club has sanctioned two Big Bird

Reply to
roger guinn

Well, you're >almost< there. All that's left is to have a MANDATORY REQUIREMENT for anyone flying at an IRMAA event to BE members of IRMAA (or have to join BEFORE participating in the event). I like it. Can I be one of the first Board Members??? No wait, that's too easy; I wanna' be the editor of the new, >extra< cheezy, "LOW FLIGHT" magazine. Of course, we'll want to be an AMA designated SIG :-)

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I'm sorry, I just assumed that everyone would be required to join before even thinking about building the plane.

"LowFlight" I like it! The logo could be an inverted figure "9" into a dollar sign!

participating

designated

Reply to
Bill

The absurdity of it all; If a club wants to have a fly in and invite people who are not members, that's OK, (assuming that they are AMA members so the insurance is in effect) If the same club says, We want to have a fly-in, specifically for, and feature large planes, that's another kettle of fish. (And, in my opinion, smells about the same) Then, they and the pilots are expected to join an organization within an organization. It's all designed to extract as much money from us as possible.

Reply to
Bill

MJC We are going to get this off the ground! Hey, since it's my idea, can I be chairman of the board? If so, you are hereby appointed as editor in chief of "LOWFLIGHT" Your salary, to start is $50,000.00 per year. (I realize that this is slave labor, but hey, were just starting out.) I, on the other hand will not take a salary to start, but I do require you to send me some Norwegian cheese. (It will be the official cheese of LowFlight) and our new "BS" SIG. All you other guys, please plan on sending us Checks ;>)

IRMMA

participating

designated

Reply to
Bill

I suspect Sesame street probably beat them to it :>)

Reply to
w4jle

Exactly my point, Bill. Even the term "giant scale" is subjective, since Guillows kits are all labeled "giant scale" and none is over 36" wingspan. Size is relative. For me, a workable definition, if there has to be one, is anything larger than 1/4 scale, regardless of wingspan, can be termed "Big Bird". Or perhaps the "inches" rule is the way to go. Anything over, let's say, 80" for a monoplane is considered a "big bird". I don't know. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

You been talking to my wife? ; anything larger than 1/4 scale, regardless of wingspan, can be termed "Big

Reply to
Bill

In this SIG of the AMA, all planes must be covered with feathers and painted a bright yellow. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I'm your man!! The first LowFlight magazine will be the entire issue extolling the virtues of members sending us MONEY! LOTS of money! The second issue will outline how important we, the Board of Directors (and EDITOR!), are to the hobby and why members should KEEP sending us money :-)

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I gotta put in my 2 cents. I've been a IMAA member for years, and while I rarely actually fly at any "big bird" events (strangely enough, circumstances have prevented me from either having a qualifying plane at that time, or I wasn't able to attend), I've certainly enjoyed seeing them. The high flight magazine does bring out a lot of the little guy manufactureres/kits/designers you don't see anyplace else, but thats about as far as the magazine goes. Never cared for the bod though.

John

Reply to
John Thompson

Can I be a VP for my area? My wife loves going to antique shows.

Reply to
w4jle

Done

IMRAA