IMAA to petition AMA re: Big Bird or Giant Scale meets.

Only if you have not built or flown a model in the past 20 years!

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I promise, I will make up for it by mis-labeling all the pictures I take, and will avoid at least three events that I will claim I attended.

Reply to
w4jle

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CainHD) writes: Big snips,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there still exists a certain

You are correct it does no harm except when it ties up AMA field for a 3 day fly in that even the club members that sponsor the field have to be IMAA members to fly at their own field.

I don't think so. Very few IMAA chapters have their own exclusive flying field. Therefore their members would still be required to be AMA members to fly at their home field. BTW, according to rumor, less than 8000 IMAA members now and decreasing. Compared to 160,000 total AMA members, that is a small percentage.. If IMAA went their own way and caused 50% to defect from the AMA that is only

4000. Yes, our dues may go up a little bit. Heck, I think I would go for a $10 dues increase to let the IMAA go. When can you leave? And don't let the door hit you in the back.

A former IMAA member.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Even less % than that participate in "The Nats". Let's get rid of THAT money-taker, too. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Whatever! You people that want to shut everyone down except for your own narrow minded views/interests really make this hobby/sport a whole lot less than it was some 20 years ago and especially 30+ years ago.

If the Club members do NOT want an event at the field, then they only have to get off their lazy butts and come to the meetings and vote against the event when events are being planned.

Reply to
CainHD

roger, you need to requalify your Basic Reading 101. Bill also stated: >>>We would need to sanction, and/or pay an additional expense to IMAA, over and above what we pay to AMA.

Reply to
CainHD

And then there are great groups, Hudson Wisconsin comes to mind. We were up there a couple of years ago and tied up their field for a whole weekend with an autogyro fly-in and the members were totally gracious.

Some of the finest modelers I have met anywhere.

Reply to
w4jle

You are correct, it was different 40+ years ago. That was when it took 3 months to build and 3 seconds to crash and repeat. Radios cost two months pay, if you didn't build your own for one months pay. Yes, that was when you had to be a modeler/builder to fly. Today with all of the appliance operators (sport pilots) comming and leaving the hobby (most stay one year) we, the flyers, don't need to promote the hobby as much as we did in the early years, the hobby shops do need to promote sales. Out of all the newbies you train, how many remain longer than 3 years? I figure 5% or less for our club. Our club membership has remained relative constant for the last 10 years and we have trained a bunch of newbies.

Don't take this wrong, I'm glad they are buying the ARF trainers and help keep the sport alive by $$$$. I just don't have the need to promote like I used to. (Yes, I too fly ARF'S)

Again, you are correct. We have a lot of lazies, our meeting attendance like most is about 20% tops. The problem is we have too many different fly in's and the field is tied up for too many weekends. In our area, we have about 24 weekends of possible flying. Take away 5 with rain, 2 with extreme wind, 7 for events and you have left 10 available. A lot of fellows, due to work/family, can't use but 1/2 of the remaining which makes the field available 5 weekends per year. We had two club members that championed canceling some events because of the above reasons. They no longer attend the meetings.

The reason all of these events get approved is the electric guys, helicopter guys, etc. will not vote against one of the other events because they are afraid their event will be voted against.

IMAA is the only event at our field that you must be a member of in addition to the AMA to fly!!!!!

Soap box OFF!

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Was that statement directed at the IMAA? That's exactly what they do at their events, when someone with a membership in the AMA and a qualifying plane can't fly unless they also join the IMAA. You're effectively shutting down everyone who doesn't share your "narrow minded views" of belonging to the IMAA. They share your love of flying and big planes, just not their membership money. And that's why you exclude them, and why you're losing members as we speak.

20-30 years ago there was no exclusive SIG that took over fields and prevented people from flying, huh? You draw a line in the sand and say I can't play unless I pay you money, then wonder why you aren't "feeling the love" anymore?

Jack

Reply to
Jack Goff

In the sunny south where the 'winter Texans' go, field use can STILL be a problem if the majority of the club does not support that type of activity.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Is there any reason anymore to get a IMAA "sanction", if you have to sanction it with AMA anyway? Nope. Just list it with AMA as a "Big bird fly-in, 80" span mono, 60" bipe, 140" combo wing and length jet or 1/4 scale, IMAA not required".

Heres what happens at our big bird fly in run by our IMAA chapter...members of the host club can fly at the event w/o IMAA membership.

I think I'll give more serious thought to dropping IMAA next renewal. As interesting as the non-mainstream ads are, I've got enough projects and resources for them to last me the next 20 years! I can't attend the local chapter meetings cause I work nights, the mag articles are a joke, and so is the bod.

About the only reason I see now is the need for the IMAA card for IMAA sanctoned events. I'll have to take a closer look at the event listings this year and see which ones require it.

John

Reply to
John Thompson

the >hobby (most stay one year) we, the >flyers, don't need to promote the hobby >as much as we did in the early years, >the hobby shops do need to promote >sales. //SNIP//

So it's the hobby shops that should do the promotion???

we have trained a bunch of >newbies.

Are the hobby shops failing their responsibility, or is it because the Club isn't offering any challenges?

Don, you make some good points like, >>>" In our area, we have about 24 weekends of possible flying.

Reply to
CainHD

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Yes, they are the ones making the bucks!

No, I am against too many events and especially if they lose club money in sponsoring them. Now, I was echoing the seniments of the fellows that only have weekends to fly. Myself, I can fly any day and mostly do during the week. Maybe twice a year I fly on the weekends. Therefore, the events don't bother me other than the possible loss of funds. Last year we made about $2000 on events. That sounds great except we could raise dues $20 for 150 members and net $3000 and no one would have to bother to work at/for the events. Just fly and have fun... Isn't that what this is all about?

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

That's exactly what the IMAA is trying to stop. IMAA "duplicate" events. As I said in another post, this is a poorly disguised move by the IMAA to boost event sanctions, IMAA memberships, and (bottom line) revenues.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

JB, you get less informed by the minute. That's good as I thought you had hit bottom years ago!!! As RS posted somewhere one only needs to say "Large Models" or to that effect and use a few decimals off IMAA's limits. Everyone's happy.

One doesn't have to be much to be elite among this group. Personally I don't give a d_mn about those that chose to NOT attend. They are simply exercising their CHOICE as well as I do. Their BUSINESS. The sun will rise again in the East on the next day and if not, well it no longer really matters.

Reply to
CainHD

So you were elected their spokesman. Maybe they should elect different Club Officers.

Have you asked those that Host and work those events? Maybe that is their fun. To some Golf is Fun. I despise it but still I encourage my eldest Grandson in his desire to replace the Tiger. Some get a lot of fun just drinking and watching ball-games. To me it's a total waste. Still I don't ask for it to be out-lawed.

In other words, I do not set myself as one who determines what is supposed to be everyone's fun or whatever. Just flying is actually very little "Fun" to me unless I'm checking out a new model or practicing something. "What it's all about" is different for each individual.

Reply to
CainHD

You remind me of those that come by our field, and then complain because they can only visit -- even with AMA -- 3 times in any 12 months. Then, it's pay or go. They whine because $150 dues is too much for them with their fine $400 ARF and $600 engine. Whine, whine whine. Hey, we built the field from farmland, we own the property, we maintain the fine shelter and runway, electrics, kitchen, running water, Indoor facilities, etc. etc. and these free-loaders want to visit whenever. NFW IMAA started something,and now the whiners, free-loaders and riff-raff want to knock it down. Oh well, that is the motif of our current society.

Reply to
CainHD

BIG Snips

Yes, I was at one time........

Neither do I as the ball game does not take up flying time at the field.

I don't dictate what is yours or anyone elses fun, I agree with your statement. But again, I don't care what you do as long as it doesn't affect me!!!! Tying up weekends of the flying does affect many. For example, we have had flyin's that occupied twodays, had 3 out of town guest, 4 club members participate and net $20 income. Now tell me that was worth it to keep the use of the field from 30 other members! Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Cain,

Why don't you just shut the hell up and go fly? You're beginning to sound like an old record stuck in a single track!

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones