Li Poly batteries, fantastic

No, I was pointimng out that you were actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, I was pointing out that you were, AGAIN.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see Paul, so basically following your logic, I have to spend 30bn dollars on developing some huge piston engines to get what any turbojet can do?

Or every time I build a new model I have to buy a new transmitter for it?

No, better than that, I have to buty a new truck to take it to the field in.

Because I didn't have the sense to buy the right truck teh first time around, or the second, or the third?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, but for Paul, the only thing that counts is an EP that will turn EXACTLY the same prop as his 40 engines at EXACTLY the same RPM, and cost less.

Never mind that that is probably the most stupid and wasteful way to operate an E-plane, that is all he understands and you can't teach old dogs new tricks. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paul,

Exactly what I countered you with in my reply about the ABC, exactly the same thing.

You seem to have selective memory in remembering only what supplements your position. You stated;

To which my statement about the ABC was a direct & clear counter claim supporting EP, AND at a cheaper cost as well.

Not true, as shown above in your very own words. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

TNP,

It's more an issue of the 'old guard' (some die hard glow, but not all )seeing EP as encroaching on their turf. There's some valid arguments against EP, as cost comparisons above a certain level show. Also, many early EP planes were just plain junk. Not so now.

With 10, 20, 30, 40 or more years as glow only fliers, EP's recent rise up to, and now leveling off with glow performance, isn't something some will openly embrace.

I like both my glow's & EP. I just don't have a number of years on glow only, so I'm not inclined to be anti either way. I will not however, let erroneous claims such as Paul tries making, to go unchallenged.

One old timer in our club has flown for around 30+ years. He can fly his glow's inverted about 3-4' off the deck, as good as anyone does with theirs right side up. His flying & building abilities are astounding! He's only this Winter, decided to build his very first EP plane, somewhat due to what my EP - ABC and other EP planes are now capable of.

There's room for both. We just don't need misinformation. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

TNP,

LOL, well understood. Several of us all-season fliers braved the elements Saturday & flew anyway.

Their video shows it doing fine.

I'm beginning to think brushless will be the best choice in the long run.

I'm going to start out with some 2000Mah NiMh's I've got & see where I need to upgrade after that. Provided I keep it in one piece.

Probably where I'll end up. Thanks for the great input! --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

I agree whole heartedly.

If its a question of a novice gettng some kit and going flying, there is not much cost difference between E-fight and a basic glo trainer. The e-plane will be smaller, that's all.

In a poll on the e-zone recently, that vast majority of E-flyers were self taught. They got spomehing and bunged it in the air, it bounced, they bunged it again, and eventually wobbled their way to some sort of piloting skill.

Much as I did. Unless you have access to a friendly club, its a lot easier to learn that way. The thought of bunging the average 40 trainer in the air and bouncing it scares the pants off me. They really do NEED qualified instruction.

After that tho, its all a matter of taste.

The big delusion is that flying model aircraft is all about what our average glo pilot thinks it is all about.

It isn't. Thats just where it has ended up. In my youth it was all about stick and tissue models and rubber bands, or chasing diesel powered old timers across acres of countryside. The fun was in the building and the challenge of actually getting it in the air.

E-flight is a whole new ball game with different rules. Enjoy it for what it is, don't try and pretend its just a different sort of .40 engine to stick in the same model and get identical behaviour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You can really be a d*****ad sometimes. You only want to compare toys to larger planes to make your point.

Compare like performance >

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Bullshit. Read my posts.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Maybe you can't handle anything above a Firebird so you think it is the same as a .50 powered plane.

That is the >

popularity,

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

From oir critcsim of the point I made that one does not buy a new pack of cells for every aeroplane, in the same way you don't buy a new transmitter, or a new vehicle to carry it in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| From oir critcsim of the point I made that one does not buy a new pack | of cells for every aeroplane

I do indeed buy new packs for most new electric planes I get.

Why? Because most of the time, if I get a new electric plane, it's rather different than the ones I've already got, so requires a different battery pack in many cases. I may already have a small slow flier, and so my next plane would be a E3D plane, and the next might be a 0.20 sized aerobatic plane. All would have different power requirements, so would require different battery packs. At least two for each class of plane.

| in the same way you don't buy a new transmitter, or a new vehicle to | carry it in.

That analogy is flawed.

My 9c radio has models set up for slow park fliers, 60 sized glow planes, powered gliders, non powered gliders aerobatic electic planes, etc. I don't have any giant scale stuff, but it could handle it if I did.

My vehicle can handle all of these planes as well.

But I don't have any battery packs that can.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Where does that ever enter into the equation? Are you saying only buy one pack and transfer it between all your planes? Do you take the motor off each plane and switch it to another each time you want to fly it? Hell, you only get one flight as it is, now you want to limit that to one plane as well?

Paul McIntosh

Well more fool you. I have basically one IPS class pack (15W), one 400 class pack (100W), one 480 class pack (200W) , and will be getting a 600 class pack soon (350W).

Any planes I build will be built around those pack sizes.

So far the most I have spend on a single pack is $66. I estimate the 600 class pack will be around $100.

If you are sane and build blocks of the same cells that can be assembled into different pack configurations, you can even assemble a 600 class pack from e.g. three 400 class ones.

Time to draw up a chart and make up some that will then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

See, no matter what you do, TNP is always smarter and better than you.

Hey, TNP, what do you do if you want to build a plane that DOESN"T match your current batteries? Settle for someth>

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Bingo. You left out what a PITA it is to bring several of the EP planes that take diff packs out for a day of flying. Generally took me most of the prior day spent charging up two packs each for my 400X, Razor, and Yard Bee, each of which takes a different style or at least layout of pack. Throw in my Twinstar and I am hosed. This assumes one charger. Eventually I got a second charger. Still spent more time at the field re-charging packs than flying. Quite a lot of time waiting for that little red light to start blinking! I fly both, but prefer my glow planes for those reasons. Something else NOBODY takes in to account for the cost of EP: How much of your electricity bill goes to charging up all those packs? That aint free! You can bring a 12v tractor battery or equivalent to the field but that sucker has to be charged someplace too. Probably not comparable to the cost of glow fuel, but still a factor that should be considered as far as the total cost. I know that all those glowing LEDs in the garage are costing me something...

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

| You left out what a PITA it is to bring several of the EP planes that take | diff packs out for a day of flying. Generally took me most of the prior day | spent charging up two packs each for my 400X, Razor, and Yard Bee, each of | which takes a different style or at least layout of pack. Throw in my | Twinstar and I am hosed.

Hmm, I never had that much trouble with it. I do have two chargers though, so that helps.

| This assumes one charger. Eventually I got a second charger. Still spent | more time at the field re-charging packs than flying.

One reason why I do more slope flying than anything else now. I spend all my time flying. I usually land because I'm tired of flying after an hour or so -- not because I'm out of power.

| Something else NOBODY takes in to account for the cost of EP: | How much of your electricity bill goes to charging up all those packs? That | aint free!

It's damn cheap. One kilowatt hour costs around $0.10 (it's nowhere near this simple, but that's pretty close.) So if you've got a plane with a 500 watt motor (a pretty good sized electric -- yours are more in the 50-150 watt range except for the Twinstar, for which I have no idea), that's two hours of full throttle flying for $0.10. Of course, your batteries and charger aren't 100% efficient, but even with 50% efficiency it doesn't cost much.

If you're charging from your car, you'll pay for this via reduced fuel efficiency, but it still won't be much.

| You can bring a 12v tractor battery or equivalent to the field but that | sucker has to be charged someplace too. | Probably not comparable to the cost of glow fuel, but still a factor that | should be considered as far as the total cost.

Not even close.

| I know that all those glowing LEDs in the garage are costing me | something...

A large number of wal-warts certainly adds up. And they use power even if your plane isn't plugged into it ...

I don't use those wal-wart chargers much anymore. I just use my fast chargers as needed.

Reply to
Doug McLaren