Li Poly batteries, fantastic

Be caregul! TNP is going to tell you how stupid you are for not making sure all your planes use the same batteries!

something...

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Well, I knew I was oversimplifying the fuel vs charging cost but the rabid EP guys act like batteries are recharged by divine intervention or something. I only had one charger at the time so with 3 diff battery types X2 there is quite a lot of time spent with that charger. My 12v chargers (I now have added a Triton) are run off of my Astron power supply which would be powering the charger and a cooling fan. Granted that probably doesnt add up to much but it does (especially here in So Cal where Bush's energy buddys screwed us) to something. I agree that sloping is about as close to free as you can get, other than charging the tx and rx. Another prob here in So Cal is the pyros setting the cool slope sites on fire, at least those near me. Looking good wind wise for tomorrow tho so I hope to hit the slope myself! Gotta maiden my new Mini-Blade.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Aw, man, I plonked that dude months ago. Besides, going by that logic, I would have to decide on one engine for all my glow planes and 86 the rest. Which one would I then keep? My Ultra Stick 60 (91FS)? My Uproar 40 (cept it has a .32SX on it, not a .40)? My .15 powered Hyper Bee? My Kaos (cept has a .51 and not a .40)? Guess I need to stop building my Super Sports 20. Forget about even STARTING my Super Sports 40 twin engine conversion. Oh wait! I CAN keep those! They all use the same type of BATTERY! Yay!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Paul,

Regarding the blatant misinformation you're spewing about EP, yep, THAT is bullshit. Your shade tree/arm chair misinformational approach to EP, shows you truly are out of your element with them.

You DO know a lot about R/C aircraft overall & glow's in particular, but regarding accurate knowledge about EP your way out in left field. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Well, PCPhill, I don't want to buy your engines because I'm thinking eBay also. I still have 5 glow engines left. I may want to keep them for sentimental reasons.

Though the original thought in this thread was about the comparative costs of batteries. What you said about e-flight is what I meant all along. You could fly the big ones like the other modelers have been doing with glow.

As I said I'm relatively new to electric, flying them for 2 years. Li Poly? I first heard about them last summer. I don't think there's much else I could add that hasn't been said by more qualified people. Except that I hope the battery prices will come down soon. But isn't this what we want?

Good luck with your 1/4 scale electric.

Wan

Reply to
Wan

No offense, Fubar, I wasn't about to be posting again, but I looked up "rabid" and it means "EXTREMELY ZEALOUS, FANATICAL", among other milder definitions . Isn't it a bit of extremism on your part? Should we describe the Glow powered guys that way? I think we should be tolerant toward each other's interests.

I am not favoring one or the other. Each type of flying has it's place in model aviation. I used to fly a lot, mostly glow power. Now I am a convert e-flight. But be it slope gliding, racing, or any other kind of flying, don't you think they add richness to our hobby?

I submit this with due respect of your experience, Wan

Reply to
Wan

So, you are saying that the equivalent to a .50 glow powered plane in electrics does NOT cost significant;y more for the same performance? PROVE IT rather than spewing. Everyone else here has given their prices for their equipment and none of them have shown it to be the case.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

True. ;-)

Yes. Unless I am SO in love with it that it justifies the expense of investing ina new pack.

I mean what do YOU do if you only have a 6 channel transmitter, and you want to build a model that needs more ?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should build your own planes. That way YOU dictate the internal layout.

Thats the trouble with running NiMh. You have to field charge to get the performancem it takes an hour and they STILL don't fly that lomng.

Well, if you arefield chargimng, it comes free wih teh gas you spent driving to the field.

Dunno about te US, but electricity here is about 10c a KW/h - thats enough to fly a 40 sized plane for an hour. Hardly bank breaking.

Less than the computer ou are typing on...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paul,

I already made my statements on it. YOU just can't accept the facts.

-and- Message-ID: Based by your very own 'entry fee' (aka; entry level) criteria. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

Some use this forum to ask questions and learn. Some are here to impart their wisdom and help others. Some just want to spread the joy that the hobby brings them. Then there are those who's lives must be so miserable that they come here to pick fights. Don't take the bait! It is fun to sit on the sidelines and watch though..

Reply to
mike tully

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Jim,

LEARN TO READ! I said entry fee NOT entry level. YOU read entry level into it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Mike,

Very true!

A wise person once said; "Never have a battle of wits with an un-armed opponent." IOW; for me, Paul just isn't up to the challenge any more. --

Jim L.

Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 4.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP1

Reply to
Jim Lilly

An even wiser person said .....

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and always win with experience....

Reply to
Bob

You misunderstood me or I didnt make it clear. I wasnt implying all EP guys were rabid. Didnt mean to anyway. I was referring to that section of the EP guys that ARE rabid. Same as that segment of the Glow camp that is also rabid.There are extremists on both sides of any discussion. I simply meant that group that claims that once you buy a motor and battery, its nothing but free gravy from then on not like those evil slimers that gulp gallons upon gallons of fuel to the point that you end up in the poor house. Dats all. :-)

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Because you CAN'T win. You , like TNP, have to shift the rules to suit your statements. C'mon, show the post where I said that entry LEVEL EP planes cost more than what you said. Don't add your own bias to it, just show the post.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

How very un-american of you Paul.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Strange. Just about avery entry fee I have ever paid takes me stright to teh entry level.

It must be something to do with the whole pricess of entering things.

Or my dady wasn't rich enough to buy me entry into the boardroom or something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher