Modelers, start your X-Acto knives!

(Many more pics to be seen - maybe enough to even cobble together a flying model)

So...I understand *why* Rutan came up with this design, but jeeze, I wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for that center wing joint - especially if this beast ever hits any major turbulence...or experiences asymmetric control failure...

Reply to
daytripper

Looks like an accident waitin' to happen to me.

and

Reply to
Paul

> and

"At 140 ft, the wing spar is the longest single carbon composite aviation component ever manufactured. "

mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

> and

MJKolodziej

'tis a bit scarey lookin in that regard. But then Branson and Rutan are a bit scarey lookin' in this picture as well!

and

Reply to
Jim

Can someone please tell me (with attribution if possible), what exactly is the advantage of kaunching rockets from the aeroplane at 15km above the ground cf starting from the ground, given that the difference in the acceleration due to gravity, g, is around a quarter of a percent and the difference in potential energy is around 14 percent ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Boo

Its the potential energy..because you need to lift the fuel weight, which lessens with the burn, its a lot more han 15% reduction on rocket mass to start higher..assuming you want orbit altitudes.

ISTR that on a typical shuttle type launch, the majority of the fuel goes in getting the thing up the first few km.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have obviously given this some thought but also think about this in terms of air density and drag.

Reply to
John Whiten