Murder! Forums murder Usenet!

Anyone else lament the fact that moderated forums have all but killed Usenet?

It's abundantly obvious from the decline of traffic volume in respective groups over the past couple of years in particular, that Usenet is inevitably headed the way of Fidonet.

Glossy forum interfaces with an ease of browser access Gumby can use are undoubtedly THE attraction. The downside is the politically correct and commercially conflicting moderation bit stifling dissenting opinion and truth in exchange.

But to hunt beef, one has to migrate with the grazing herd...or set up one's own grain fed forced bulk feeding lot.

Reply to
jl seagull

Yes, BUT My theories differ on the WHY I think it has a lot more to do with trolls and idiots who INSIST on FEEDING the trolls than on any particular appeal of the alternative

After having attempted to use some of those glitzy interfaces, I have come to the conclusion that they were ALL designed for people with broadband access and nothing better to do with their time.

When all you can get is dial up access, AND you have an actual life not involving the internet, the on-line forums are just NOT an option

YMMV bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Nope.

Could be. Fidonet still exists, I believe.

Not for me. I love the newsgroup format.

I have no objection to moderation or people making a living from serving people's needs. Both things have their place in a free society. (I help to moderate a newsgroup. I have not figured out how to earn any money from any of my hobbies. Drat.)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Once you begin to earn money from a hobby, it becomes a job. Its all about which way the cash be flowin'.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Not at all. I applauf teh fact that moderated forums ahev incrased teh quality of real information flow, and stopped it being wrecked y trolling.

Usenet still exists as an entry point to teh forums, and for shameless trolling.

It goes with the terrirtory.

Its valid to supress off-topic stuff and abuse on fora, so come here if thats what you want.

Indeed.

If you want a no holds barred nrawl,set it yup elsewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't exactly agree, but I do think the idiots and trolls have had a negative impact. I mean "brintney spears naked", "free ipod" & "stupid americans" type posts, don't exactly help. Actually this particular newsgroup gets considerably less than some others I frequent. I don't particularly like any of the newsreaders, but I do like the fact that it's all content (supposed to be) not 80% advertising like a rcuniverse.

Phil

jl seagull wrote:

Reply to
Phil

I don't know where on RCU you spend your time, but commercial stuff takes up way less than 20% of my screen, time, and attention while there. Occasionally there are full screen ads, but they go away very easily.

The negative impact of those wishing to shove their ways, morals, and opinions down the throats of others is only exceeded by their persistence and how many forums they will post their stuff to in that effort.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

| Anyone else lament the fact that moderated forums have all but killed | Usenet?

They've taken some traffic away from Usenet, but have hardly killed it. | It's abundantly obvious from the decline of traffic volume in | respective groups over the past couple of years in particular, that | Usenet is inevitably headed the way of Fidonet.

Usenet is dying. Film at 11! | Glossy forum interfaces with an ease of browser access Gumby can use | are undoubtedly THE attraction. The downside is the politically | correct and commercially conflicting moderation bit stifling | dissenting opinion and truth in exchange.

Gumby can access Usenet. It's not rocket science.

As for the moderation, that's generally a good thing. In fact, the lack of an effective way to moderate (yes, I know about moderated groups on Usenet. I even moderate one. I also know about the problems) is probably the main reason that forums are gaining users so much faster than Usenet.

For example, this post of yours is offtopic here. It would probably be removed from a RC forum, and rightfully so. All the political posts that we see here definately would get removed, immediately. And the spam (which we admitantly don't see too much of here) would be gone too ...

Another advantage of forums is how easy it is to create new forums. Creating new newsgroups is quite complicated, and it doesn't happen often at all.

And then people like how they can use cutesy icons, add in-line pictures, etc. And the forum administrators like how they can control things, and how they can make money off of it by selling accounts and advertising.

Usenet has it's advantages too. There's no one site that if it goes down, everything just disappears. No overzealous moderator can ruin a discussion. Discussions are archived forever (practically anways), as opposed to having discussions expired at various times, depending on the site. The interface is up to you, and is the same for every newsgroup, as opposed to every forum with it's own different interface. And Usenet is fast -- I can read everything I want to very quickly. Can't do that with any forum ...

I haven't given up on Usenet yet. But as far as this group goes, the biggest problem are the regulars -- the ones who feel free to post political stuff here. People need to think before they post ...

| But to hunt beef, one has to migrate with the grazing herd...or set up | one's own grain fed forced bulk feeding lot.

There's still hunting here ...

Of course, this still isn't very R/C related, so ...

Here, in Austin, TX, it's like 60 degrees, no wind, sunny. Absolutely beautiful. I don't even have to work (and I usually work on sundays.) I need to go fly! Alas, my wife is out shopping, and I've got the kids ...

Their grandma got them a R/C car, one of the cheap ones. It didn't work. Oddly enough, after they played with it for a few days, beating on it and such, it started working! Somehow I don't think that would work well with my broken planes, however ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I've (on purpose) let the entire original post remain as quoted.

First of all, you are basically correct. Online forums using local storage have just about killed usenet when it comes to specialized information.

Why?

Most of what is being said and done in online forums could have been using a NNTP-based (news) backend, and would have, if the operators of the moderated newsgroups had seen this coming.

Today, us oldtimers are complaining that "usenet is dead". Based on what we have done to it, I say "it's about time". To reverse this we need the following:

1) Online Forums and Usenet are not competitors. One does not replace the other. To make online forums use UseNet as its backend, we need REAL moderators.

2) Online forums regularly need contact with those responsible for their backend systems. To make online forums use usenet as their backend, the moderators would need to be available. I'm pretty sure the moderators are having a tough time making sure every one of ther

3.3million e-mail adresses end up the same place. How about making one of these a "public account" where they could actually be reached?

3) Having spent the better part of my life handling abuse (of internet), I know that there are a lot of idiots out there. Moderators: Handle the abusers, not the ones disagreeing with you.

//Svein

Reply to
Svein Skogen

I'm up to my elbows in balsa dust. I'm building Mad Dog II. Mad Dog I bought the farm in October. I took some dimensions and shapes from MD I, but decided to mess around with other stuff. It's been a lot of fun. All the foam is cut for the wings and empennage. I've got one fuselage side done. I think it may be ready to paint by mid-January.

Meanwhile, we had a foot of snow and single-digit cold outside. It was a very white Christmas.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The only slight gripe I have about forums is that there doesn't seem to be a way of downloading a complete list of 'posts' and 'responses' so that I can read offline (ducks down behind benching). Also, having to remember the different password to access forums can be a pain in the butt. The older I get, the less I seem to remember!!

I only have dialup access to the internet. I Can't justify broadband yet. Thus, to stay online to read through everything would cost me a fortune in the UK.

The added advantage of usenet is, I can download ALL posts (using forte Agent) and refer back to them at a later stage if I come up against a problem that may have been covered previously.. All without having to go back online.

Just my tupence worth

Declan

.>>

Regards

Declan Barry

Reply to
Technical

Human nature insures that rarely goes as planned over the long term. Sounds good, but fails in application.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Exactly. That's like saying 'Politicians: act for the good of the people, not your chums and your bank account'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher