Nobler Progress

I got the vertical stab done today, just in time to mount on the fuselage (it would have made more sense to built it along with the horizontal stab/ elevator and set it aside, but the instructions said...). It looks good, in spite of some crappy die cutting.

Still need to mount it (including carving a block to interface vertical stab to horizontal stab and fuselage), mount the tail L/G, mount the front bottom block (it's a complicated assembly, but purty), make a cowl, talk myself OUT of a silkspan and dope finish, and slap some nice new 30 year old Econocoat on the thing, do final assembly and think about flying.

I expect to reach this stage at sunset on the last day of decent weather before spring, but who knows -- sometimes we get a few good days at unexpected times.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Is the vert stab going to have right rudder built in?(am I thinking right?) I really liked the way my Falcon 56 looked with silkspan and dope but my Jr. Nobler had Solarfilm....precursor to econocote mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Yes. It's actually airfoiled, with the right side flat and parallel to the fuselage centerline and the left side convex.

I have two partial rolls of international orange econocoat, and a _very_ partial roll of black mystery material. They look surprisingly good together, but I have to see if they're compatible before I plan out any trim schemes.

(You may question my taste in choosing international orange -- it's left over from my very early days flying gliders, and worrying about visibility. Now I'm mostly interested in using it up in a way that'll make me unafraid of the splatter if I pull out of a vertical down maneuver 5-1/2 feet too low. Making it look good is just an intellectual exercise).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Ah, let the kiddo pick the trim scheme. mk BTW: ebay: 320424633671

Reply to
MJKolodziej