Old fuel/mixing fuel?

I thought this statement was pretty "interesting," too:

"8. Film strength: We have customers who race without oil! That is, they run the oil in practice for a few minutes to coat the engine, and then drain all oil from the engine. The film strength of our oils remain long enough for these racers to qualify without engine damage. And, since they are no longer encountering the viscous drag of the oil, they qualify in the top ranks! Note, however, that we do not recommend this practice."

Hmmm.....

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

They are not talking about model engines here. These are likely drag engines who do not run long enough for the lack of oil to cause much problems.

Remember the Slick 50 commercials of a couple decades ago? The ones about the guy who drove 100 miles with no oil in the sump?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hey Brian, long time no see!

Reply to
Pé Reivers

Well, Catrol"M" is not just any "caster oil", but refined, degummed, high grade quality by one of the largest oil companies in this world. Are there any other users of Redmax that can back up their claims? How good is their model synth oil? I would love to see it compared to the excellent German Titan oil ( by Fuchs) IMHO, For model engine use, it is no use to put emphasys on the "plating quality" in gas/meth/nitro full scale racing or drag engines. In the sixties, I have read reports on Spanish off road engines that ran for an hour or so on pure gas without damage, just by the sparce remainder of oily particles in engine and tank. That was the only way for the reporter to get out of the desert somewhere between California and Mexico. That goes to show what a well run in engine will accept (for a while at least). Having spare parts at hand, I also have run my screaming .21 MVVS combat engine on as low as 8-10% castor oil for 3/4 season, surprisingly without any mechanical damage, save for a sticky balky engine after a while. Yet, after cleaning out the gum from the piston assy, I reverted to 20% synth Titan.

) because it gives me a stable all year round, though slightly lower, performance.

Reply to
Pé Reivers

Pe,

I have used FHS oil for warbird racing in my YS .91AC. As far as I am concerned, it is about the best protection you can buy. It is also recommended by a fuel blender who was a neighbor and flying buddy who has many top fliers as friends and customers.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh