R/C planes the center of a planned attack on the Pentagon? Uh-oh.

"A Massachusetts man was arrested and charged Wednesday with plotting to attack the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol with a remote-controlled aircraft filled with plastic explosives, federal officials said."

Lovely. Right when the FAA is considering regulating us more closely ... some guy goes and adds credence to the idea that R/C planes could be useful to terrorists as bomb delivery devices.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

If the FAA did have to regulate us modelers, then it would be smarter to limit us to a weight limit like the AMA suggests in their safety guidelines. Just how much explosives of any type would have to be delivered to cause wide spread damage.

The only problem with making any new laws is it will only effect law abiding citizens. Criminals are notorious for ignoring laws.

Reply to
Vance

Vance wrote in news:j60j2r$ht2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

To put it another way, what this guy was planning to do is already against existing rules and regulations, including AMA. So that just proves the ineffectiveness of said rules and regulations against those who are intent on doing something anyway.

My point being, new rules and regulations won't stop such intent. So, if there is even a wiff of such in the air, we need to speak up pronto.

Now if the FAA would get off their butts and release the NPRM so we can jump all over it (if need be)... sheesh...

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

don´t believe CIA. VAn

Dne 29.9.2011 5:03, Skywise napsal(a):

Reply to
van dark

Honestly should or does this surprise anyone? It was only a matter of time. The Germans had the Goliath in WWII. Just a real big RC Tank explosive. And did you see some of his planes? One was an scale F-86 Sabre. What can you put in a Sabre, there is hardly any room in that style. All his planes he chose where a very poor choice but they all looked real good.

I am sure at some point we will see an RC Car bomb. As long as we have nut jobs and terrorists they will find any means to plot against those that don't conform to their belief system.

I am sure our government will do the right thing. :rolleyes: *hold breath here*

Reply to
Lithonion

One point is puzzling me however: If would plan a RC plane bomb attack, I would not necessarily use a beautiful scale jet model, but rather a butt-ugly weed-wacker powered "Stick" kind of model. With FPV kit for better aiming.

Price / performance and all that.

Somehow it does not add up. Either the terrorist is not too bright, or there is some reality-spinning going on.

[disclaimer: I fly foamies that would barely lift a firecracker, and have no inclination to blow up anything. My flying is dangerous enough as it is now :-) ]
Reply to
Blarp