Re: Fuel

I have tried all sorts of mixes for sport flying (mostly 46 2S) and eventually settled on 5% Castor, 10% Synthetic for my oil content.

This was not based on is synthetic better/worse etc, but based on COST.

castor costs me $10/litre and synthetic costs me nearly $17/litre.

For me, castor is cheaper than synthetic to but, but I hate the mess, so I played around with the % and came up with something that was as cost effective as possible and not to messy.

Once an engine is broken in, I always start reducing oil % from 20% down. I have never had a problem with 15%, but I am always careful and try and not run lean.

I don't know about anywhere else, but in AUS, If you fly more than once a month, and you don't mix your own you are virtually burning your cash!

I have been using Powermaster 15% Castor Synaptic blend fuel for years. > Recently, the LHS decided to start selling the same fuel with 18% synaptic, > no castor. Not using any castor makes me kind of nervous. A while ago there > was an Excel sheet for adding oil and nitro to fuel to modify it. Anyone > know where I can get the sheet? > Thanks > Bill > >
Reply to
<me

Yep, Super Tigre G51 with 25% all castor and running in a full 4 stroke the entire flight. It's only done about 30 hours of running so there's only slight discolouration but maybe in another hundred hours or so I might give it a clean :) Possibly this is because in Australia we're lucky enough to have Castrol M which is about the best castor you can get.

Brian Hampt> Ever flown CL stunt?

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Paul Ryan

Klots is one of the better ones. Specifically why don't you trust it?

If you really want some good oil, call FHS and get some of their synthetic oil.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I don't trust straight Klotz (or any synthetic oil) because it seems to thin out too much when the mixture is too lean, and things get a little too hot, and seems to leave the metal unprotected. I remember looking into the exhaust port of our unmuffled engines and seeing the piston cleaner than any piston ought to be, like freshly machined metal, and seeing too dark and gray exhaust oil, that raised my suspicions. Castor, on the other hand leaves a glaze of varnish on the meal when this happens, coating and completely protecting the piston. In theory, the varnish is a problem in its own right, but in my life I've never had to remove any. This is anecdotal evidence, admittedly, from my free flight years, when Klotz had just replaced the preferred Poly Oxide oil, 1971 or 72, but castor does such a good job, and is so much cheaper, why not use it? And by the way, what is FHS?

Paul Mc> Klots is one of the better ones. Specifically why don't you trust it? >

Reply to
Paul Ryan

FHS is Red Max Fuels.

Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng

FHS is Red Max Fuels.

Joe L.

FOR HIGH SPEED,execellant oil and fuel, been using it for 15 years.

Reply to
Courseyauto

It is the only oil I was using after Excalibur cloes up a while back. 40% nitro, 20% oil and balance methol. The YS loved it!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh