Re: Inside RC (TV show)

Hey, has anybody been watching this show? Is it any good?

> I can't get it without a satellite dish. Would like to see > it if anyone has been recording it.

I'm recording it and watching it to see if they're improving at all. Last year was awful. I called the hosts, "the children of the corn," for the way they'd stare at the camera with big toothy, obviously fake, smirks/grins. Footage was a victim of "one take" syndrome; people stammering, dead air, bad editing.

Welp, this year they fired the guy host, and stuffed the girl host into a tight T-shirt in an obvious attempt to attract the male demographic. It's fine until she opens her mouth: Forced perky. I can't stand forced perky. At least they've increased the video tape budget because people seem to be able to actually put sentences together from in front of the camera.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

It's on again? When did the new season start?

Reply to
Don Hatten

Personally I'm glad to see any thing get on TV that highlights our sport. That being said I do think the program has room for improvement but I'm sure glad it's on!! And I'm really glad it has a 2nd season.I see more positive here than negative by a long shot. I think we should be thinking what we can do to help other than just putting down. Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713

Reply to
Efulmer

We can certainly agree on that one thing. I don't have access to the show, however the Sep. issue of RCM evidenced just where and to whom information can be directed that does have national exposure. Once the bigwigs recognize that any Modeling of any kind can be a decent worthwhile activity, then maybe -- just maybe -- we can get better recognition when negotiating to either keeping current sites and/or negotiating for new ones.

There has to be a better way to spread our message than constantly preaching only to the choir.

Horrace Cain

Reply to
CainHD

The flip side of that is that the more attention we get, the more our "helpful" elected officials will take notice and figure out how to regulate and tax our activities in some very imaginative ways. I can see it now.. A "Federal Frequency Fee" added on to the sale of every radio. A required RC Pilot's "Single Engine Land" etc. license fee. A required "Instructor Rating" (fee paid, of course) in order to teach flying. A 70 Million Dollar Impact Study on the environmental effects of RC flying. A luxury tax on such a "frivolous" activity. Quadrupling of the import taxes for Balsa wood. A provision for Federal Fines for violating the new Federal Noise Laws.

You get my drift. Feel free to add some more.

MJC

"CainHD" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m12.aol.com...

Reply to
MJC

You know, you raise a good point, though you may be exagerating a tad. Just how big would we like this hobby to get? How big is too big? Is it not big enough already?

Reply to
Frank Costa

I hates to point this out, but AMA itself is very busily looking into some of those areas already.

There is a committee 'studying' a structured license system.

There is another 'study' going on with respect to insuring instructors. At present the focus is limited to instructors-for-hire, but if paid instructors are assessed a fee ($150 per annum, under the present "plan"), the non-paid instructors are sure to follow suit based in the obviously high-risk situations instructors habituate.

Not all the "helpful" elected officials are in DC, y'know. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

The DIY channel also has an RC show and it isn't too bad. They have covered planes, helicopters, boats, cars, park flyers.

Reply to
Andy

Yes they do. However, I don't see why it's called what it is. It certainly isn't all RC. Several shows have been about model railroads. Hobbytown USA is the major sponser.

Chris Gianelli hosts it. Some of the shows aren't too bad. But, the lion's share are a bit skimpy. It's probably a reasonably good way for a newcomer to be introduced to a hobby. I found the latest show on electric helis to be quite interesting.

Jim - AMA 501383

Andy wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

Good thing for committee study:

The current AMA liability insurance can cover casual paid instructors without additional cost to the AMA.

The current plan under consideration has NO FEES to AMA from the club and/or instructor. I am still lobbying for a "suitable administrative fee" to defray the cost of including the clubs and instructors in an AMA Data Base which is currently under consideration.

Right now the plan will only be for casual instructors of an AMA Chartered Club on the club's field and NOT for any professional school / instructor.

Horrace Cain, AMA 539 Originator of currently considered question. Committee member. Candidate for AMA D-VIII VP.

Reply to
CainHD

And the latest episode on DIY was on slot cars... I wish they would cover more Radio Controlled topics on a show called Radio Control Hobbies. Its still better than nothing though.

--------- Kevin Morris

Torqueroll.com - Forums, Classifieds, Photo Galleries, Community - All FREE!

Reply to
Kevin Morris