Second Plane recommendation?

Hi All,

My GWS beaver is on it's way and I'm looking forward to shaking off the cobwebs that have accumulated over the years with it.

I used to fly power (always prefereed the smaller stuff) but I've been away for almost 8 years now :( Coming back to the hobby, I was glad to discover backyard flyer (mag) and when I found a deal on the GWS beaver, it looked like a good "get back into flying" plane for me. Should arrive in a week or so...

My backyard goal will be something like the GSW F4U, but I'm not sure about making it my second plane, or if I should have something in between. The beaver is only three channel, and as far as I know can't be modified for ailerons, so I'm looking for a backyard flyer with ailerons that can hopefully take all the gear from the beaver (keep costs down).

They (GWS), have a couple of warbirds, is the F4U harder to fly than any of the others? The box claims "for expert flyers" or some such, which is why I'm wondering if I should or shouldn't jump to it right after a few months with the beaver.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA Steve

Reply to
Steve Morley

Helicraz

On 7/28/2004 8:06 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I wouldn't suggest jumping to a warbird as a second plane. The MAJORITY of warbirds are, IMHO, too sensitive, even with reduced throws, to be used as a second plane.

I would suggest a mid or low wing plane with ailerons. Hobby Lobby has several that should work well. The Gee Bee Y Sportster (if it flies like the glow version it will be a excellent plane), Travel Air Mystery Ship, the Excell (mid wing 3D type) using reduced throws.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I would agree with a number of people. I would stay away from the war birds. Just as the full size, they are not easy to fly.

As far as the Beaver, a GWS receiver costs about $25, with the crystal. Servos are under $10 each. You only need two. So, I don't see having to tear the Beaver apart in a few months.

Bill L

Reply to
Bill Lederer

If you can fly a low wing plane, you can fly the Great Planes P-51. It is nothing more than a dressed up Kaos.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hi All,

Thanks for the input, still not sure what I'll sue for my second plane, the Beaver is due here by the end of this week, with everything I need to go, radio system, motor, props, batteries, charger, esc, etc...

What I need is a low-wing aileron trainer, now if I could find a spacewalker II I'd be pretty much in heaven (favourite non warbird plane).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Morley

I built a Venture 60 for my second plane... flies nice, but might not be available.. similar to sig 4star 60...

But, ugly as it is, the u-can-do is one hellofa arf. I've seen 3 fly, and they are quite the plane.... very aerobatic, slow landing, amazing.... just a bit ugly..... did I say it looked ugly..?

. Arne, USA .

Reply to
Arne