Servo orientation

I have what may seem like a silly question. When you have servos in the wing for each aileron, how do you set them up so that they have the same throw on each side? I attached a drawing to alt.binaries.radio-control. Think of it as if you are looking at the underside of a wing. The outer two control surfaces are the ailerons and the inner two are flaps. Would the flaps be set up the same way as the ailerons?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

On my Ultra Stick 60, the orientation for both flaps and ailerons is so the arms and pushrods are on the outboard sides. The instructions for the Ultra Stick shows them in this manner. Left wing servos on the left side and right wing servos on the right side.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I guess the first question is what kind of radio you have. The drawing you show should yield equal throws, but it is a bit unorthodox. Typically one would set the servos up symmetrically (each side is a mirror image of the other). Your radio system may make all the difference in the setup. Having or not having servo reversing makes a difference, for instance.

JR

Reply to
JR

Your picture isn't there for me any more, just a reply.

Anyhow, if you set up flaps on one channel, then the easiest way is to have both servos facing the same way. Otherwise you have to use a reverser on one of them. If you are using a computer radio and separate channels for the ailerons, you can mount them any directon you please.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Your picture would make sense for the flaps, both arms to the right of the servo, but the arms must be on opposite sides for the ailerons (such as both outboard, or both inboard, symmetric about the center of the plane).

As others have mentioned, you can put the arms anywhere if you use enough channels with the mixing command on some radios. In that case, I like to keep the arms symmetric about the centerline of the airplane.

-Fritz

Reply to
Fritz Bien

That is how you get electronic (as opposed to mechanical) differential aileron throw which is desireable in some planes.

John VB

alt.binaries.radio-control.

Reply to
jjvb