Shop tools : alignment

Hi all . . .
Anyone ever "dial in" a drill press ?
Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

The quality of the chuck makes a big difference. The basic setup for the press can be found here:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-dp-adj.htm
JR

with

URL promptly stashed.
The chuck runout is less than that of the utterly useless HF bits I bought. Never do _that_ again. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
Yes. I bought a new drill press earlier this year and dialed it after setting it up. Was within .001" from the factory.
Hall

[...]

How did you dial it in?
--
Normen Strobel
snipped-for-privacy@email.uophx.edu

On 16 Jul 2003 23:22:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Dr1Driver) wrote:

Lemme restate the issue . . . .
Don't buy a Ryobi table-top drill press !!!!! At least, not without a subscription to the Aspirin Of The Month Club.
Neither the quill nor the table is perpendicular OR parallel with respect to the column or each other. Both have adjustments in the X axis only.
Got a tip over in the tin-benders group. Spell dial indicator.
Dial the table flat to the column, then dial the rotating assy perpendicular to the table.
I forgot all about the dial indicator I use every third blue moon to check shaft runout on walk-in ovens.
Duh . . . Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com
(Dr1Driver) wrote:

Fred,
Accepting the risk of being slagged one more time, what shaft runout needs to be checked on walk-in ovens? Maybe we had better start with the walk-in ovens. .

I would assume he means something similar to our walk in proofer. you build an insulated room, put a conveyor in it along with a big heater. lots of shafts on a serpentine conveyor.
onthe other hand, maybe it is a big convection oven type, and they have poorly ballanced fans that throw out the shafts often
--
Tater
President of MARS Club

Needed a memory jog to recall that I indeed have a nearly-new dial setup in the work van. Used it maybe twice in the last year.
Chuck runout is _visible_, but I'll deal with that after I get the spindle/quill dialed in and the table flat (table scale is worthless). Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com