short wood kit vs full wood kit

ok help!!! I built a top flote kit in the mid '80's in which all components were laser cut and supplied with the kit. I assume that this is a "full wood kit." Can someone please explain what sellers refer to as "short wood" kits?

Reply to
m sanders

Not to put words in anyones mouth but My undersatnding of a short kit is one in which any part you would have to copy a shape or curve from the plans would be provided. This typically is the wing ribs, fuse formers, wing tips, stab tips, rudder tips, like that. The rest of the wood is dimensional like 1/4x1/4 spars and 1/16 or 1/8 sheeting stuff you can buy at the hobby shop and use as is. Sparky

Reply to
Elmshoot

were laser cut and supplied with the kit. I assume that this is a "full wood kit." Can someone please explain what sellers refer to as "short wood" kits?

Short kit is just the wood generally - and maybe only the tricky to cut bits at that.

i.e. it may have no canopy, almost certainly no wire parts, and definitely no servo horns and linkages. Some strip and plank stock may also be absent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many of the 'older' short kits provided only certain parts like

firewall, cowl, plans, canopy, etc. but no other wood. You had to cu your pieces from your wood.

Others would have all the ribs and fuse formers, but not th sheeting/wood necessary to finish the plane.

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

USUALLY, a short kit contains some of the hard-to-reproduce parts such as cowls, canopies, landing gear and such. Short kits such as from Wing Mfg contain these parts and the plans plus a list of wood you need to buy.

Other short kits may contain all the parts that need to be cut out such as ribs and formers and you need to buy the sheets and strips.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Mid '80s? Top Flite? Laser Cut? OK, if you say so.

Anyway, to answer your question, a "short kit" only has "shaped" pieces of wood, like bulkheads and ribs, supplied. Strips and sheets are not supplied. The short kit will also usually have formed plastic pieces where required, like canopys and cowlings.

The advantage is to allow the builder to pick his own wood, and buy it himself, usually saving quite a bit of money. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I guess there's a price on nostalgia.I've threatened to build some of the old planes of the eighties too,but the price on short kits sometimes is quiet stiff for what your getting. Most of the time what I was looking for,I found,but with like only the ribs and a couple of pieces of wood for a grand price. I just figured what the hell,that's too much for what I'm getting. The RCATS Tusamni was one of those from RCATS...Big price for hardly anything....I guess I'm just too tite.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

You can always send the plans to

and get a great set of cut parts for a reasonable price.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh