Super Skybolt ???

Looking to build my next plane and am wondering about the GP Super Skybolt. The last plane that I had was a GP Extra 300 that I found a little too hot to handle. I was okay flying it but found landings difficult. I either came in too fast or stalled the thing on approach. I have found my 4-star 60 to be very easy to fly and land. I also did well with a Sig Smith Miniplane Bipe. How does the Skybolt compare with respect to landing ease ? Also...what about a Saito FA 1.00 4 stroke on this plane ?

Thanks,

Reply to
Oper8 On U

The GP Super Skybolt is a great flyer and landing it is a breeze. Only bad habit I found is the inability of the aircraft to stop a spin naturally with just the release of controls. It would take an extra turn to a turn and one-half to stop. I had a O.S. Surpass 1.20 in mine which gave it unlimited vertical.

Thanks,

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec

Hi,

I would have to agree, the GP Skybolt is not only a great flying plane, but also a great looking biplane.

I've only been in the hobby for a few seasons now, the Skybolt is my 3rd plane, and was a joy to build. I am very pleased with the way it came together. It is however a rather heavy plane. Most of the ones I have heard about weigh in at around 10lbs. Mine in fact weighs 10lbs 3oz dry. I could not justify (afford) a 4 stroke at the time and have instead powered mine with a GMS .76 2-stroke with an J'tec pitts muffler. This engine and pitts muffler along with my aluminum spinner weigh in at just over 2lbs alone, but it pulls the plane around nicely, even off my grass field. The only changes I made from the plans is a pull-pull rudder setup, Sullivan tailwheel bracket, AeroGlass Cowl, and I am using two separate servos for the split elevators instead of the Y push rod setup described in the plans.

Though I have not experienced any bad stall characteristics, due to the weight it tends to sink fast on approach when the power is reduced. This makes for a very fast landing compared to my other two planes...Sig Kadet LT40, and Sig Somethin' Extra... but those planes are floaters anyway. None of my landings thus far have resulted in any damage, though I still need to work on them since they are far from perfect most of the time.

If your interested, I have a site with some detailed pics of the build as it progressed. You can view it here:

-Enjoy.

Reply to
Fitz