GP Super Skybolt is tail heavy

Years in the building, by 2 builders, the craft is near completion. Way tail heavy. I tired two standard 600maH RX batts on the firewall but it still needs much more. I'm concerned about putting batteries on the firewall. it's wrapped with auto trim mounting tape(servo tape) and screwed down with plumbers tape(steel strip whit holes in it) Eng is an MVVS 90, too much power I think but If I go out and buy a 90 four stroke I don't think it'll be much heavier. I guess I need to break down and buy an after market fiber glass cowl and put the eng out on the end of the eng mount beams....then add lead! Just sounding off before I get the lead out mk

Reply to
MK

Absolutely nothing surprising or new about this... The Super Skybolt is reputed to build heavy, and tail-heavy at that. The Super Skybolts I've seen all have 1.20 4-strokes in them, both for the nose weight and extra power to pull the hefty bird around with any authority.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

My Super Skybolt had much the same construction time and people working on it as yours, but I substituted 1/4" aircraft ply for the firewall and landing gear mount. Drilled the aluminum landing gear for a 1/4-20 plastic screw and made the wood cover removable. Replaced the mickey mouse cowling with a fiberglass cowl, used a 1100 mah battery pack, and installed a OS pumped 1.20 four stroke. I didn't need any nose weight and the aircraft flew and landed perfectly, you couldn't ask for better flying aircraft. You will be happy with that .90, use it! One thing...you have to allow for a turn and one-half extra after releasing the controls from a spin. Good luck, Harry

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec