This Looks Like The Right Place

Thanks, you should hear what I don't talk about or write down in note books. And sorry , but that's just the way I am , a good friend put it as fragmental. Its a bad habit from childhood.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Seems to be, where is the better place?

I won't bug ya'll much if that's what your getting at.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Why not create an accurate map of the area with GPS locations prepositioned on the map? Then get a decent dual purpose motorcycle and ride across the expanse using the GPS unit to keep you on track? I bet you'll probably find more meteorites that way than by model photography.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

More or less bollocks.

It actually couldn't. Gravitational potential makes sure of that.

Thatas about tantamounyt to saying thata frictionbaless ball will roll to a stop at the bottom of a pudding bowl. No matter ehere you strat it from it won't. The only metioors tha arrive 'slowy' are teh ones that start here.

it could conceivably make it to the ground without ever

Just because a rock has te same composition as a bit of Mars doesn't mean it comes from there.

Try education as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This from the man with all the answers! Been finding them at the bottom of a bottle again have you?

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Hah, like it collided with a slightly smaller meteor that was LEAVING the earth?

That makes one of us ;)

Reply to
Steve Banks

Great word!

I'll have to use it three times today to see if I can get it to stay in my lexicon.

Here's something that I take comfort in when I bump up against some of my personal limitations: "It's just a description, not an indictment."

Good luck with your projects.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

It's been a fun discussion for some of us.

Newsgroups are naturally contentious. Take what you like and heave the rest.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Due my own lack of spelling skill I usually cut people a lot of slack in that department. But yikes man, learn how to use a spell-checker.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

No. Like it was moving slowly and in a straight perpendicular path to the earth. If the object is moving too slowly to orbit it would get sucked in by earth's gravity and if going staight in would only accelerate to terminal velocity.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I disabled my spell checker because it kept asking for verification on hobby specific words. It seems as though every post I made had some different acronym that needed to be added to its list of words. I got tired of it.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Someone else said they where ok. Just looking for a don't bother cause they need to run twice as fast for RC's or some other unknown problem. I figured they would be almost free and expendable , modify and run them for hours stationary in 120 degree weather and see if or how they burn up. My abusive neighbors will love me.

I just checked and am still lost , I guess I never really got into it before. There is Cubic Centimeter , Cubic Inch , Cubic Liter?... I've had a 6.6 V8 and have a 500ci V8. I've had a VT 500 motorcycle. Hmmm hadn't though of dead chain saw engines and such till now. Still lost on getting a grip on what will be just over overkill on a scaled down flying object.

I still think I'm just going to have to jump into casting aluminum, but would rather not. Maybe look again for someone to do some one off stuff.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

There are quite a few conversion kits available for Ryobi utility engines. The conversion is simple. Some fellows even have businesses where they sell preconverted utility engines for around $200. Naturally, if you can buy the engine and the parts separately, you can have a converted engine for much less than $200. They are reliable and they are not overkill by any stretch of the imagination. They make very practical and inexpensive powerplants for models of sufficient size to carry most micro avionics packages with ease.

Doing a Google search for Ryobi R/C conversion parts should get you going. Some people even have local repair shops that nearly give away perfectly good engines from weed whackers with broken cables. They are so inexpensive that the whackers are cheaper to replace with new units than to pay a repairman for his/her time.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

This is good stuff , I'll look into it.

I will definitely be in the boonies when I try this. I have hit two birds with one stone throw before though... Hell , if they don't hit the deck when the screaming engine and prop are close while playing jack rabbit in the middle of nowhere they deserve to get it. Matter of fact one places in mind is so far out there that most people would die trying to walk out of there.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

These are great sites ! Thanks. I didn't look at them the first time I read your post. Wonder if I can get garbage day routes for the whole city like they do for watering times and days.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

OK.

Be careful when you're starting your engine. The props can cut real bad real quick. We want you to come back healthy and happy after your expeditions.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Yes. And cubic feet, cubic yards, and (I suppose) cubic miles.

The relevant sizes for our RC engines are cubic inches (American system) and cubic centimeters (metric system).

10 cc = ~0.61 ci

When people give numbers without specifying units, they are usually talking about cubic inches:

0.049 - little tiny whiny Cox engines 0.25 - modest beginner's engine 0.40 - most popular beginner's engine, by far

These come in plain bearing and ball bearing versions (as do other displacements). Plain bearing engines put out less power as a general rule, but they can be economical and durable.

0.60 - probably the smallest engine you would want to use 1.2 - very useful for your work. See the Aerosonde. 1.5 - 1.8 - Extra power, extra fuel load, may or may not add much to your missions. 2.0 and up: you're starting to get into military grade applications, I guess.

People have converted and flown them.

0.40 -- 1/6 scale

0.60 - 0.91 -- 1/5 scale

1.2 - 1.8 -- 1/4 scale

Lots of great engines are available off the shelf.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Repair shops ! I can be so daft at times. Better brush up on my spanish. LOL

$200 is cool (surprisingly low), I'd spend to much time on trying to figure out if I should go as far as radial just cause I can't recall how it works again. I use to grind aircraft cranks , but not radial engine cranks.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

You're welcome.

I personally wouldn't fly a homebrew RPV over a city.

It would only take one engine-out to get someone suin' mad. Just defending yourself would eat up all your profits.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

If it was moving that slowly, it wouldn't be anywhere near the earth. To get to that position in the solar system it has to have a speed equivalent to the earths speed round the sun, and if it was essentially in a similar orbit as the earth it would have been sucked into the earth or moon years ago.

Objects falling slowly towards the earth have nonexistent orbital paths. Therefore they cannot exist except as objects that have been thrown up from the earth, like a ball...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher