What's the difference? = HS-80 vs. HS-81

I have some Hitec HS-80 servos that flew about fifteen flights in a Caprice

15 ARF powered by an OS .20 two-stroke and then a four-stroke of the same size. They did the job admirably.

I retired them and am now thinking of using them again. What is the difference between the 80 and today's 81 servos? Are the 80 servos upgradable to 81 specs? Is it worthwhile? TIA

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The 81 came out as the 80 went out... they are as near as wotsit the same servo, albeit a slightly different size. Both servos can be upgraded to metal gears and the torque and physical strength of the gears is about the same. Those 80s of yours still have a good few years in them yet. Beware the Hitec 81 btw, the strain relief on the lead isn't great, pulling on the leads puts great strain on one of the wires, if I recall correctly, the neg one.

-- Philip Rawson

philip-rawson

Ed, I have both and the only difference I can see is the 80's have a white case, and the 81's have a black case. I use the 80's on my zagi

400 and have never had a problem.

Reply to
Doug Dorton

Thanks, Doug. There's nothing like asking those with hands-on experience.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Thanks a bunch, my friend. I'll be sure not to tug on the servo leads.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

My HS-80 is in a black case!!!

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

I guess I've had 'em longer than I thought.

Reply to
Doug Dorton