acad scales

Allen Thompson wrote: > I changed a small section of a drawing to a hidden (dashed) line but when > printed it came out as a solid line again. Any ideas why this happened? -Al previous replies are correct, but like many other things in autocad, the picture is seldom complete because there are so many different ways to achieve the same effect on screen.

I will attempt a comprehensive reply.

when I am in model space I set my ltscale to a number based on the scale I wish to plot at - usually 1/4"=1'-0". multiply the inverse of my desired output-on-paper scale by 12. ( 4 * 12 ) = 48

I set my ltscale in model space to 48. this only changes the on screen appearene in model space.

I plot from paper space and scale the view through the window by the inverse of my LTSCALE in model space and what plots is the same as what I am used to looking at on screen. you have to add the suffix XP. I scale my viewports in paper space 1/48XP for a 1/4" = 1' drawing.

for 1/8 scale the magic number is 96. for the oddball 3/16 it's 64. those I use often enough to remember.

for this to work right, I have to change my ltscale to 1 before I plot. and PSLTSCALE is a variable that turns paperspace scaling OFF and ON. if memory servers, I just leave mine on - controlling the plot scale by scaling the views in the viewports.

my magic numbers work because I want someone to be able to lay an architect's scale on the plan and read the 1/4" = 1' side. engineers scales read 1 to 20 or 1 to 10 or 1 to 30...... increments of ten. and ususally it means 1" = 20' - 0" for my site plans. the contractor reading the floor plans will use an architect's scale, and the one reading the site plan will expect an engineer's scale.

there is a factor of 12 involved. so to plot to an engineer's scale, I would scale my viewport 1/240XP.

draw your model full scale and work out the ratios so that you get what you excpect to see when you plot. play with it. if you conform to standards, I am betting that soon you will be in danger of forgetting the processes of fiinding your magic numbers. it's the sort of thing you set up once and forget about.

cheers.

actually, I hope you did not need this at all. going for coffee now.

Reply to
Niki