LTSCALE AND PSLTSCALE

What is the most common practice for ltscale and psltscale settings?
I know of 2 schools of thought.
The fisrt one is to set ltscale to a mid range number like 48
Then set psltscale to 0. The line weights dont all appear as the same exact dash size in different scaled view ports. But they are close enough and you can see the dashes when working in model space.
The second school of thought is to set the ltscale to 1 and psltscale to 1. Then it doesnt matter what what size the view ports are they can all show the exact same dased size in all the view ports. But when working in model space you dont see any dashed lines.
What do you know to be the most common approach? What approach do you use?
It's not an "either/or" situation. You can set your LT to 48 AND PSLT to 1. Are you working in inches?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Your preferred LTSCALE gives that away : )
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

"What is the most common practice"
Paul Turvill wrote:

I have no idea. My *preference* is PSLTSCALE = 1, LTSCALE = 0.33, and that's what I use; I couldn't care less what the "most common practice" is, since my drawings are meant to please *me* and *my clients.* ___

LTSCALE5, PSLTSCALE=1
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Paul Turvill wrote:

When you switch to model space, you must change LTSCALE back to a larger value. Most experienced users use LISP routines to handle such housekeeping. ___

You have a lisp handy? ;) Thanks
Paul Turvill wrote:

OK, Paul. Now you have me peaked. Why do you have your LTSCALE set to something that looks good in PS but not in MS?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

I got about 10 years working on Autocad software, so not as many as some, but more than others and every place i have worked, i have talked into setting PSLTSCALE to 1 and LTSCALE to 1 as well, and then locking your viewport and working through to floating model space, you can zoom and pan and do all the things you need to do and you never have to 'SET' your line type scaling again. or forget to change it back when you come out of model space and plot with it set wrong so everything shows up as a solid line.
Just my .02 worth.
and occassionally if there is a line that isnt showing up correctly cause its too short then you set the ltscale for that 'specific' object to .5 or .25 or something that displays...

What do you do about batch plotting? Batch plotting automatically puts a drawing into paper space before plotting. What if a user opened a drawing and was in model space when he closed it. Wouldnt this be screwed up when plotted?
Paul Turvill wrote:

Yes. AutoCAD can't correct anyone's errors or oversights by itself. ___

Very similar for my Imperial drawings: PSLTSCALE = 1 LTSCALE = .4
For metric drawings: PSLTSCALE = 1 LTSCALE = 10 (ie 25x the imperial setting)
I also use only acad.lin I copy my acad.lin overtop the acadiso.lin so I don't accidentally change the linetypes when I start in metric or imperial drawings. I want my drawing practises to be the same regardless of the units used otherwise I would have to remember which settings to use for what unit drawing I began something in. I eliminate just one more source of irritation that doesn't need to be there in the first place.
I am ALWAYS using multiple scales on a drawing sheet therefore to me ONLY USING PSLTSCALE=1 makes sense to me. Otherwise you'd have to put up with unequal dash lengths for the same line type - again I just eliminate one more source of irritation. I do a fair bit of editing/drafting through the viewports but when in model space, all I do is change the LTSCALE to match the appropriateness of the plan/section/detail/etc. I've done this for so many years now I can't imagine doing any different.
"Why don't other people draw/think like I do?" :-)
It's all personal preference. Set you LTSCALE to whatever you want. Always keep The PSLTSCALE at 1. When you plot, the scale of you drawing (and the lines) should be dictated by the sale of the mode space viewport, so when you plot from paperspace, you are alway plotting at a 1:1 scale. If you are not getting the same lines in MS as in PS viewport, yo have to turn on Linetype generation. That's all, there's no need t go around your elbow to get to your a*
What is linetype genreration and where do you turn it on?
hufdaddy wrote:

It's part of the PEDIT command. HELP should, well, help you figure it out. ___