Critical need: Plot Scale -- probems with implementation

In the spirit of: "No question is a dumb question...":

I am in need of plotting at 1/4" = 1 ft for my next project, but when I set the scale to that, my drawing shrinks to infinitesimal size. How can I get it to retain the size necessary to fill up the viewport but still retain the

1/4"=1 foot scale?

Pepper me with questions if I'm being unclear.

Thank you,

Jameson

Reply to
Jameson Frost

Not to be a wise guy, but it is what it is.

Is the drawing created 'true size'?

If it was actually drawn to 1/4"=1'-0" (instead of true size), then the viewport scaling needs to be 1:1.

Reply to
TomD

Hey, I asked the dumb question, so I can take it! ;)

This was drawn at "true size". The plot scale was set to 1/4" = 1' via the plot dialog box.

I drew a rectangle of 1 unit by 12 units.

When the plot scale is set to 1/4" = 1', the resulting annotated dimensions (using Osnaps) come to 406" 7/8 x 33" 15/16.

Surely I'm missing something critical here...

Thanks --

Reply to
Jameson F

I would say you're definitely missing "something critical."

If you drew an object that's 1 unit x 12 units and it dimensions as 406 7/8" x 33 15/16" then you did *not* draw it correctly. I think you need help with more than plotting, my friend. Even if you had some wierd value assigned to DIMLFAC, the ratio of your dimensions is about 13.15:1, not 12:1. How in the world did you draw your "1x12" rectangle? ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

I was afraid to ask, Paul.

Reply to
RonB

As follows:

"Command: _rectang" "Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]:" "Specify other corner point: @12,1"

-J

Reply to
Jameson F

Must be the love talking, Ron.

Reply to
Jameson F

Let's try another tack here:

The desired plotted output (to 8.5" x 11.0" stock) is to be at a scale that allows the targeted user to take their trusty ruler and measure the contents of the plotted drawing at the following scale" 1/4" (measured) = 1 ft. (Model space components are drawn at 1:1.)

That is: Each quarter inch represents 1 foot, on the nose.

How can one achieve this in the most direct manner?

Thank you,

Jameson F

There are a number of ways. The best way IMO, is to set up a Layout for your particular paper size, in this case 8.5x11" -- with most printers that's about an 8x10" printable space. Next, create a viewport that's about the same size as your printable area, and set it up to show the objects you wish to plot. Scale the *VIEWPORT* by ZOOMing it to 1/48xp, then pan the view to the position you want it in the viewport. Now, since your Layout is already scaled at 1:48, print it at full size (that is, 1:1), and the resulting plot should be "right on."

A second way, if you don't like paper space is to simply plot from model space, and apply the 1:48 scale in the print/plot dialog.

Both of the foregoing assume that the objects to be plotted were correctly drawn full size in model space. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

Thank you, Paul. We'll give it a whirl.

Regards,

J.

Reply to
Jameson F

And, Merry Christmas you, James, All!

Reply to
RonB

Howdy, I'm new here but I thought I would ask you a question and maybe I can help. when you scaled your project did you do the math for paperspace? if not you do that and it will solve your problem. I just did it and it works just as it should. If I can help let me know and I will explain. (not to say you didn't or don't know how to do that). DH

Reply to
David Hughes

Were your units set to decimal when you drew it and then set your dimension units to architectural when you were ready to add your dimensions??

Happy Holidays All !

Brian

Reply to
Brian Spillane