autocad activation after xp clean install

I did a clean install of windows xp and then I reinstalled acad 2007. Now I'm having difficulty re-activating autocad because it didn't find a
previous version. It will not even allow me to run and activate later, that option is disabled. This is obviously a common procedure and I don't understand what the difficulty is.
Does anyone have any input from their own experience?
Pete
Pete,
Maybe it depends on your type of license but you should be able to activate it online using your serial number.
In the future before you reformat make sure you back up your license file and then after installing AutoCAD restore the file to the same location.
As a side note if you want to get another 30 days you might need to include the boot sector in your reformat as I think AutoCAD stores product activation information there.
Robert.
Pete wrote:

Backing up the licence file makes no difference as the activation request code generated at install differs every time that the program is installed from scratch after removal from a system.
UNLESS YOU HAVE CRACKED COPY in which case you need the instructions with the crack file carefully.
it depends on your type of license but you should be able to <BR>activate it online using your serial number.<BR><BR>In the future before you reformat make sure you back up your license <BR>file and then after installing AutoCAD restore the file to the same <BR>location.<BR><BR>As a side note if you want to get another 30 days you might need to <BR>include the boot sector in your reformat as I think AutoCAD stores <BR>product activation information there.<BR><BR>Robert.<BR><BR>Pete wrote:<BR>&gt; I did a clean install of windows xp and then I reinstalled acad 2007.&nbsp; Now <BR>&gt; I'm having difficulty re-activating autocad because it didn't find a <BR>&gt; previous version.&nbsp; It will not even allow me to run and activate later, that <BR>&gt; option is disabled.&nbsp; This is obviously a common procedure and I don't <BR>&gt; understand what the difficulty is.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Does anyone have any input from their own experience?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Pete<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR> <HR> I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users.<BR>It has removed 241 spam emails to date.<BR>Paying users do not have this message in their emails.<BR>Try <A href="http://www.spamfighter.com/len ">SPAMfighter</A> for free now!<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Tankie43
While the request code may change if you attempt to activate AutoCAD again. No reactivation is necessary once the file is restored.
Now let say that I have not tried this myself but this is what the documentation from Autodesk states.
Robert.
Tankie43 wrote:

A similar situation arose when an associate installed SP1 for his (legitimate) ADT 2006. I don't recall the exact error message but it was something like "Registration information has changed. Contact Autodesk etc. etc. etc." The option to enter the activation code was blanked out and not available. As is typical of all software publishers, it took him a very long time on the telephone to get help from the tech support department. The pain in the rear solution was to un-install ADT, delete the registration files, re-install ADT then re-activate. After going through all this he elected not to install the service patch again.
I certainly can't say the steps would work for you as it appears you have an up-grade version where my associate is using a retail full version but, the registration information location for AutoCAD '06 is: "Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2006\R16.2\ADLM". For '07 the location is a bit different as I believe "ADLM" is immediately under AutoCAD2007 without the "R*"
If you attempt this, without taking the safer route of contacting Autodesk or your dealer, here is hoping nothing blows up!

Thanks guys. I was thinking yesterday after the fact about the previous license info file but I never backed that up. So I guess I'll have to call.
Thanks Pete

After two phone calls and three emails, I finally got an activation code. Amazing.