Clipping planes and true-type fonts

Our office uses clipping planes often. We have always used shx fonts. For a style change, I thought I'd try a true-type font style and discovered that the true type fonts do not respect
the clipping planes, and show up in all views.
I've searched high & low and am surprised with the popularity of true type fonts that I can't find any postings on this subject.
Is there a solution to this besides avoiding TT fonts? Text masking is not a good solution for our office as we use lines-merge as opposed to lines-overwrite in our plot options. We dislike having to constantly keep track of what object is on top of another.
Occurs r2000 through 2005...I don't have 2006.
Thanks, Phych