Document fonts

We had something happen this past weekend that caused something to change in SW. I was working on some drawings as of Friday night. Come Monday morning, when I printed the next drawing I noticed that they printed differently, as in the info in the title block was a different font. I thought maybe that one drawing was screwed up, but when I checked to see what font was called out, I found the font name box empty - no font called out. I also checked the last drawing I had printed Friday night and it also printed differently from the week before.

Long story short, I tried SW2007, SW2006, 3 different machines, old templates, new templates, SWRx starting with no options, etc. No difference found anywhere - I still have missing fonts. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Are the fonts actually in the Windows/Fonts folder?

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Wayne,

What do your Regional Settings look like? Have they in any way been changed.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I have some idiots in my "design services group" that seem to think it is very important to change from the default swks font and sizes to something kinda bizarre for drawings like Arial Narrow Bold. These guys really suck. Maybe you have some idiots like this in your company?

Reply to
ms

Ok, a bit more info on this.

We have a laptop that is right now at a car plant so it didn't get the weekend's updates that we all got here. I called that guy and had him open our basic B-landscape drawing template. I did the same here at the same time. He could see that the title block notes had a RomanD font called out - I see an empty box where that name should be. The bold or normal, and the pitch are there in mine, and match his, it's just the name of the font that's missing.

Once I knew what the font used to be, I wondered if maybe that font was deleted on my machine here. Nope, shows up in the Control Panel Fonts list with the same names/attributes as his copy. One could also question whether the template had changed, but I don't think so. I have the write rights to that folder area (other than the IT boys) and I didn't change it, nor did they, and the file date hasn't changed.

Then I went back to the template that I still had open, one more time checked the font that was tied to the note, and it was there! As in works fine.

So, when I checked my fonts Monday, I checked not by going to Control Panel the normal way, but I have a shortcut in my QuickLaunch area such that I can get a fly-out list for Control Panel. Apparently looking at the list this way does not repopulate the list of available fonts as happens when you go the traditional route from the Start menu.

To finish this investigation, the laptop will be updated tomorrow morning when it arrives. We will do one update at a time and check for the font loss after each step. I'll report the findings.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany