Coordinate conversion

Anyone know how to convert COGO into bearings? ex. 13803292.0810, 1979568.8290 to N 29º 36' 42", W98º 29' 33.1"

Reply to
¡M!

Hi M!, Some pointers:

1) All Bearings starts with N or S and ends with W or E. 2) You can not get a bearing from a single point. 3) Bearing can be computed by Tangent Bearing =3D( E1-E2)/(N1-N2)

Good Luck

Reply to
dave

yea.. u need 2 points.. the invers between them can give you a bearing

Reply to
keithacole

I take it you are trying to convert coordinates to latitude and longitude...? I'd check with the County Surveors office and see what they have in the way of benchmarks...

(BTW: N 29º 36' 42", W98º 29' 33.1" = NE of the intersection of Stone Oak Parkway and North Loop Texas 1604 West, San Antonio, Texas)

Reply to
mebeme

yes, you have only one point there. but as you get into it, here is a snippet out of the middle of some trash I wrote that would select a line and write text for a bearing.

(if a (progn (setq pt (osnap (cadr a) "nea") el (entget (car a)) pta (cdr (assoc 10 el)) ptb (cdr (assoc 11 el)) oldos (getvar "osmode") bear (angtos (angle pta ptb) 4 4) )

it took the endpoints of a line for input.

that help?

Reply to
roy

Perhaps I did not make my original post clear. I import data from GPS into AutoCAD Civil 3-D. A single point is listed as 13803292.0810, 1979568.8290. My customer wants to know the Lat & Lon of that point. Seems like there would be a button for that somewhere....

¡M! wrote:

Hi M!, Some pointers:

1) All Bearings starts with N or S and ends with W or E. 2) You can not get a bearing from a single point. 3) Bearing can be computed by Tangent Bearing =( E1-E2)/(N1-N2)

Good Luck

Reply to
¡M!

Where or How did you get the result (N 29º 36' 42", W98º 29' 33.1")? That's all I need to know...

Reply to
¡M!

Seems to me that your GPS equipment should be able to provide the latitude & longitude of the point.

But, go can to this page for info on converting UTM to Latitude & Longitude:

Bob Morrison

I have been a surveyor. (N 29º 36' 42", W98º 29' 33.1") is not a result. the units are mixed or something. are you parsing it correctly?

N 29º 36' 42" W could be read 29 degrees, 36 minutes 42 seconds West of North. but then the 98º 29' 33.1" has no meaning. and a bearing means nothing without a distance.

and as for 33.1" - nobody in their right mind reads anything to the tenth of a second.

you are mistaken on one point at least, you do need to know more. compliance here, just ask a better question.

Reply to
roy