Death to the evil ISAVEPERCENT setting!

The typical evidence of ISAVEPERCENT damage is this: You work on your file, save and close. Open the file and it is damaged (error message of one sort or another and AutoCAD must close). Recovery mode will not be able to recover the file. Sometimes even the BAK file will be damaged depending on the changes made to the file since the previous save and the final save and close.

The dangers of this command have been brought to light in the various CAD rags in the early days, but in our experience, this command remains evil. AutoDesk continues to include it in new versions and defaults it at 50. It must be kept turned off using a 0 setting.

While the chance of ISAVEPERCENT damage is rare, In large collaborating CAD environment involving large 3D models it can cause significant loss of work.

I would recommend adding code that forces ISAVEPERCENT to 0 upon the launch of AutoCAD as users may reset their profile from time to time. Auditing your files often is not a bad idea either. I believe the newer versions of AutoCAD have an automatic audit that can be enabled.

-S

Reply to
SimonLW