Dimensions in 3D drawing placed on the XY plane (all dims on one plane)

Hi,
I would like to ask a question about dimensions in 3D drawing being placed on one plane. I have a 3D drawing, and when I draw a dimension,
it gets placed by the program on the XY plane. The dimensions do not stay along the dimensioned objects. For example, you draw a line from [1,1,1] to [3,3,3] and then dimension it. The dim line is placed to [1,1,0]-[3,3,0] instead of along the line. Would anyone, please, know why this is happening?
Thanks.
JT
Josef Tomek wrote:

Why not just dimension in paperspace?