Editing commands........setting?

For example: When I do an extend (the line) command and hit enter, enter (twice) so I don't have to select the nearest object to extend to....the line will extend
to the nearest x,y coordinates (including hatch patterns) instead of extending to the nearest object, which is what I want. What to do?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Cliff K