Hourly rate for CAD drawings in the US ??

Yes, after discussing the practice with the client first. Its part of the contract.

I'm not losing any sleep myself. I don't understand exactly what has you folks up in arms though. The fee structure I have has worked for a long time and this is the only place I've ever had it questioned.

Reply to
Modat22

Rereading this, I'm wondering if you are misunderstanding something.

Increasing my fee from 35 to 50 per hour isn't a 50percent increase and its not a surprise increase ether. The client is made aware of this fact.

The 100 per hour rate applies only to site work where I have to visit a site, take readings and make adjustments to control systems and or instruct contractors of what repairs need done and how. The 100 per hour fee is a bargain after all is said and done.

If you wish to continue calling me stupid by all means continue. God bless you all the same.

Reply to
Modat22

$100 per hour is what I charge. This would include a nominal amount of hardcopies as well.

john

Reply to
John

Ya... In Poland is about 30... pln ( 1$ = ~3 pln...).

cashan

Reply to
cashan

Here we go again, I've been doing it this way for the past 10 years. I've done the increasing hourly fee with 20 customers who where made aware of the practice at the initial consultation. If you've not heard of anyone doing the practice I'm afraid that its you who have little experience at all with this stuff.

Reply to
Modat22

Don's been doing this stuff far longer than you have. He also does it full time. He's a known quantity.

Your earlier post about learning a few things is encouraging. I don't think anyone is demanding that you change anything about how you do business. Rather, pointing out that there isn't really an upside to the way you do it and that you might consider looking at ways to improve the business end.

Take this scenario and tell me how the customer would react. New customer, charge them the flat hourly fee - no discount. When the first bill rolls around, then you adjust the bill to reflect your learning curve and the customer PIA factor. You then give the customer a "rebate" of an hour (or whatever amount seems appropriate) that can be applied at the time of the next bill.

Do you think the customer, not expecting any break at all, would be disappointed? No way. Getting something when you don't expect it is better than getting the same thing when you expect it. It also removes the mandatory discount - it is now at your discretion.

If you're stuck in the middle manager mode (well, this has always worked for me and that's how I do it), then you're obviously not looking to improve your business or feel that it can't be improved. Does that sum up your view on the matter?

RicodJour

hi Link, a belated thanks for your reply, which has been very helpful.

I was at the recent ArchiCAD university in the UK and somebody mentioned you as probably the world's most competent ArchiCAD user.

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

In my opinion, it is irrelevant how much it costs for him to get it done locally. If he can get it done for $1 an hour where he is, or by going to India for the work, are you going to drop your price to the point where you can't feed yourself or your family, and lock up your time so you can't get other work?

Similarly, if you ask a rate that is comparable to the rate he pays locally, but is higher than what you really expect just to get a windfall, he will probably find someone local to do the work, or will never use you again once he is out of his current situation.

Ask a price that you can live with and either stand firm, or inflate before quoting to allow for negotiation.

And if you are look>>> He says he likes the idea of the time difference with me in the UK,

Reply to
JG

The world's most competent user, hey? Well I wonder who said that? I will have to send them a check;-) I always cringe when people refer to me like that! I would much rather say that I was up in the top 5%, as there are many excellent users, I just like to teach people how to be the best they can be. I was actually on a job in the UK during ACUE, but was unable to attend. It was really unfortunate, as I think it is a great event.

I am glad you got some value out of my advice. It is the basis of how I run my business, and has worked very well for me. Of course you have to use common sense with it. Like if the local rate is only one bloody dollar, you'll need to take a different tack! Jeesh! And if you ask for too much, you obviously won't get the deal, but it is a successful system. And you can eventually weed out the people you don't want to work for.

I don't think you'll have too many problems;-)

Cheers, Link.

Reply to
Link