import toolbars??

My computer crashed, so now I have Acad2000 on a new PC.

My old harddrive is on this new one as the D drive.

Can I import some of my settings from the old Acad folder??

First issue is all of my toolbars.

Thanks, Battersby.

T. M. Battersby

battersby

been there, done that. you have choices.

one thing you might consider would be to just use your old hard drive as C:. that would be if your crash was hardware. you would have all your old stuff, including autocad.

but I suspect this is not the case.

do you have the same OS? if you do, and if acad installed the same way on the new computer you can just copy the SUPPORT directory from the old acad installation. careful, there may be some tweeking involved if your old setup used directories that no longer exist.

I have overwritten my acad.mnu file to put stuff in *POP0*, and other editing stuff. frankly, I don't recall all the tweeking I have accumulated over the years, and when forced to reinstall there is always something I need to fix.

windows does not seem to install the same way twice. autocad installs on top of windows, obviously. expect "stuff".

and if you did not last time, save a profile this time. it can shorten the reconfig quite a bit. like remembering mbuttonpan settings.

cheers

Reply to
roy

Try overwriting all that is in the support folder in the new installation with what is in the old. It should then run like it used to, but may require some additional tweaks.

Nice plaster work! Do you also do the painting?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Thanks for all the info Roy.

The part where you say "careful" is taken seriously, and I don't know if it is worth it.

This sounds interesting, but I don't quite follow.

I am a casual user for about 7 or 8 years, and have had to reinstall several times. always a hassle.

MichaelB, Thanks as well for the reply.

Not brave enough to attempt the support folder. My custom toolbars are regrouped fairly well now after some work.

One item I had before and now I can't remember how to put it back. If I remember correctly, it was something I had picked up on here in altcad a few years back.

It was a floating icon (toolbar) that expanded with select tool buttons.

Thanks for the compliment on the plasterwork.

The final decoration is done by others. I do it in my own home only.

Thanks again, Battersby.

T. M. Battersby

battersby

Probably a menu you got from somewhere.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Looking thru Acad Help, I see flyouts, but I can't make it work the way it is described.

-- Battersby.

Reply to
battersby

You got it right. Seems like the only thing that really needs workover on the reinstalls is the toolsbars docked on the left with all the buttons arranged.

I created a backup and put a txt file on the CD with all the pertinent #s, auth, etc, so I can copy and paste when the time comes.

Good point.

Thanks for the compliment. 45 yrs with plaster. 7 0r 8 on a PC. Would have been nice to have this technology available for assistance in my trade for

45: acad and digital cameras are a great assist, not to mention the world wide interjet.

-- Battersby.

Reply to
battersby

you get good at installing autocad by installing autocad - in my experience. casual user for 7 or 8 years? I think I can extropolate. you have reinstalled enough times to know you're going to have to reset some stuff, but not enough to be comfortable.

reminds me of the point when I finally wrote in ink my CD key onto the back of my autcad cd (case? what does one call the cardboard box?) because I kept loosing where I wrote it on paper, and Autodesk was, I am sure, tired of me calling to remind me of the number.

I must be a dinasour, I still use lisp from the command line ( and some pull down menus ).

if you get bolder, even if something gets fouled up your worst case is just a reinstall.

cheers.

by the way, the attention to detail you show in your work, computer files should be no particular trouble. nice stuff.

Reply to
roy