Loosing custom menu

I spent a good share of the day on Friday customizing my toolbars. I had a fatal error and when I opened AutoCAD back up all my customizing was gone. I re-did it all today and the same thing happened again. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I prevent this from happening?

Brian

Reply to
Trail Shredder

It's called "Create a Backup".

Do your stuff, and create a copy of your support folder. If your system crashes, you can reinstall AutoCAD and then replace the new Support Folder with your copy. Make a change, create a new backup.

Reply to
Chip Harper

You do not have to back up your entire support folder. You should however copy your ACAD.MNU file and rename it to something like "mytools.mns" Then using the menuload command you can load your new menu file and make changes to it. If you are having problems with your system crashing you should make a few changes and then exit AutoCAD then restart and make a few more changes. Shutting down AutoCAD will force the program to create and compile a new .mnc & .mnr file which will keep you from losing everything. If your serious about customizing your toolbars you should familiarize yourself w/ editing your toolbars in the .mns text file(using notepad or wordpad). It's a bit complicated at first, but if you read through the documentation in the help files you will catch on. It will take a little trial and error but once you get it you will never have problems w/ toolbars again...start small and add on as you begin to understand. I would recommend that you stay away from loading or editing any .mnu files.

Good luck....

Reply to
RENEE RINEHART

Reply to
Chuck

Your right, you do not have to back up the entire folder, but based on Trail Shredder's post, he knows little to nothing about customizing and restoring the customization. What about the bmp files for any custom buttons, the pgp file, arg file and so on. In Shredders case, zipping up a copy of the support folder is the fastest and easiest way for him to back up and restore his AutoCAD customization until he gets familiar enough to create his own partial menus loaded from a seperate folder with ALL his customization.

Reply to
Chip Harper

Chip, Your right too. Backing up your support files is a good approach and you will be glad you did if you run into any problems. Hopefully Trail Shredder has enough info to get started and avoid all those smilely face icons...

Reply to
RENEE RINEHART