Newbie

I'm just learning cad (autocad and Vectorworks)

If I make a rectangle (or any other 2D shape) and extrude it, what would be the easiest way to close up one end? For example, turn an extrude square into a solid box.

Also, how to I apply a material or image to a single surface? I have situations where I need to apply a custom material/image to a specific segment of a 3d shape.

Thanks for any/all help!!!

Reply to
jlab13

To answer the question, draw a 3dFACE. If you want a solid box, however, why not draw one?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Was just using a basic question to get a point. I actually need to draw ans surface many diff't, non-standard shapes. Most of which are easiest to create in 2d then extrude.

Reply to
jlab13

I tried creating an odd shape via to arcs and 2 lines, then extruding. When I try yo use 3dFace to add a face on one side of the new shape, it can't quite follow the curves. Am I doing this wrong for this example?

Reply to
jlab13

The answer will vary with the shape, and the precision required.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

See other post. If you're doing curves, you should probably stick to solids.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Just noticed that part. Section for material applicat needs to be separate entity. How you apply depends on version, and will olny show when rendered.

Consult your F1 key for the basics.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

An extruded rectangle is a solid box.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

so draw them with closed polyline shape and extrude them.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

you need to convert them to poly lines and then join them, then extrude.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

Filleting is the real bitch.