Rendering XREF's

Hi, I have a problem with Autocad.I have created a large suite of "symbols" as XREF's. I attached materials to these symbols, such as
timber and metal. Trouble is, when I import these XREF's into my master file, I don't see the materials. This means I must laboriously BIND or EXPLODE my XREF's, and re-attach materials. Is there a better way of doing this? Kerry