View Toolbar with Layout tab

I'm sure that I've used the View Toolbar in layouts to change the scale of the model through the viewport.
But why can't I now get this to work ?
The drop down list that displays the scales 1:1, 1:20 etc etc is greyed out.
The only way I can alter the scale is using the properties dialogue box.
What am I doing wrong ?
Thank You
What a doofus I am !!!!!!!!!!
Of course, if I use the correct toolbar - then all becomes clear !!!!
The *Viewports* toolbar as opposed to the *View* toolbar.