understanding model tab vs. layout tab

As I understand it, you draw your drawing to scale in model space. So, if I draw a desk top that is 20" x 16" in size, I use those exact units in model
space. Then, what happens when I click on the layout tab? If I am printing on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, when I go to page setup my scale should be about 1:2 or 1:4, right? If my scale was 1:2, my drawing should just barely fit in the viewport, which should just barely fit in the drawing space. Is this correct so far?
Yes, except you haven't made much of an allowance for margins on the paper. But 20"x16" is a pretty small desk. ___

But, if I open a new drawing with a Title block automatically inserted in the first layout, I have a problem. When I scale in the layout view, it scales the title block and everything in paper space. All I want scaled is the drawing in model space. It does not matter if I choose page setup (to scale it) in paper space or model space. It still scales everything, not just the drawing in model space. Is there a way to scale just what's in model space so the title block remains filling out the whole 8 1/2 x 11 sheet?
Brian White

if
should
You don't scale the Title Block. You scale *only* the **contents** of your viewport(s). To do so, open the viewport (MS command, or click inside the viewport), then ZOOM using the XP option, or the built-in sheet setup routines. Details may be found in HELP. ___

Well, once you zoom, how do you know what your scale is to put in the title block when you're finished? Brian

in
You TELL it what scale to use. Then you put that scale in the title block. Please, just look up ZOOM in HELP and study the XP option. ___

Sorry to add to the problem guys, I have been pulling my hair out trying to get a handle on making my own title block with text that is easy to change i.e. date etc, I heard of x-refs and block etc, what I was hoping for was a reasonable tutorial that I could work thru at my own pace without bothering ng members every other day. Any suggestions? Autocad 2004 Paul Turvill wrote:

Only the one I've offered before. It worked for me, and it can work for you if you give it a chance. USE THE HELP SYSTEM. That's why it's there.
Failing that, find a good "beginner" level book on AutoCAD (a Google search will find a wide selection to choose from), or even better take a course at a local community college. Probably 80% of AutoCAD users are self-taught, and learn by doing, reading, and doing again. If you expect someone on these NGs to spoon-feed you with every detail, you'll never become half-way proficient. ___

For a title block with easily changeable text you will need to learn how to make blocks with editable ATTRIBUTES

The title block should always be at 1:1. always always always. So man people have peoblems with that. Scale the view using XP, as metione before

I've read the string and here are my comments for whatever their worth.:-)
I draw in model space and don't worry about scale. The image is full size. Then on the layout tab, I use the change property dialog box. There is a place to set the scale for the viewport. After the viewport scale is set, I lock the view port in the same dialog box. It is much easier than doing a zoom xp for most people. The layout is paper space and is plotted 1:1. If I want to change the scale of the viewport, I do it in the change properties dialog box. This is for acad 2000 and later.
Release 14 requires the procedure you were talking about in earlier posts. Of course, rel 14 does not have layout tabs.
How exactly do you get to the change property dialog box to set the scale for the viewport? What pull down menu do you use?

the
paper
I figured it out! Thanks for the suggestion. That's definitely the best way to do it. You click on the viewport, click on properties, and then in the properties dialog box change scale. it works out w/ my printer too. The scale was exactly correct when I printed it out. Brian

worth.:-)
size.
posts.