Why does Acad Crash every 3-4days? xp acad 2002

I have a p4 computer, 1gig ram, 200gig hd. For some reason on my old system win2000 and on my new system xp, AutoCAD crashes every 3-4days. I
admit I have many programs (MS Outlook, IE, Excel, notepad, and a few other little programs) open at the same time, but I do have 1gig ram. I also, typically have 4 or more drawings open at the same time. If I reboot every couple of days then no problem, but I often forget to do that. Even though I have autosave on, it is still kind of annoying. Any idea why that happens. Thanks.
Usually happens when running certain background utilities, such as a virus checker (especially Norton). Try disabling them one at a time until the problem goes away. ___

thank for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury to turn off Norton on my work computer.

Do you leave AutoCAD open always? Try shutting ACAD down at the end of each day. I think ACAD tends to 'hog' memory and when it runs out it crashes. I notice that my version of ACAD2002 on my XPpro machine gets slow after a while. Sometimes it crashes too. I just close ACAD and reopen and it works fast again. Garth.

Agreed. Also type status on the autocad command line and be sure you have some free physical memory left or things could get unstable and slow. -S

other
also,
Even
why
Not enough RAM is not my problem. As I said I have 1Gig Ram.
SimonLW Jun 2, 3:14 pm show options
Newsgroups: alt.cad.autocad, comp.cad.autocad
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:14:09 -0400 Local: Thurs,Jun 2 2005 3:14 pm Subject: Re: Why does Acad Crash every 3-4days? xp acad 2002 Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse
Agreed. Also type status on the autocad command line and be sure you have some free physical memory left or things could get unstable and slow. -S
you could also try running diagnostic programs on your motherboard, processor and ram to see that there are no hardware faults.
Garth.
- Find messages by this author